ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

World's most bizarre AE error...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tristan NietoWorld's most bizarre AE error...
by on Jul 20, 2010 at 10:04:13 am

Welcome to crazytown.

So I've got this issue with AE and it goes like this: You copy a piece of text from a document and paste it into a text layer. When this happens, halfway through pasting, AE always decides it's time to Auto-Save. This then causes the Auto-save to fail and AE crashes. More bizarre still, this crash always causes the adobe updater to start up, which goes straight into trying to update AE... and then freezes (along with the crash reporter for some reason).

WTF?????

This happens every time, without fail (or with fail, I should say), even with Auto-Save turned off. When you run the updater manually, it says that there are no new updates to download. All the obvious things like trashing preferences doesn't seem to fix it. I don't expect anyone has even heard of this issue before, but if you've got any ideas, let me know.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Adriano MoraesRe: World's most bizarre AE error...
by on Jul 20, 2010 at 11:41:25 am

Hi there Tristan.

Providing the AE version, OS and some hardware specs can really help you get an answer to your torment.

I remember having some sort of issue like that back in AE7. But I guess it didnĀ“t happen all the time and I upgraded the version as well as the machine before I could actually solve the mistery.

Hope someone can help you for real.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Tristan NietoRe: World's most bizarre AE error...
by on Jul 20, 2010 at 12:51:02 pm

Sorry, forgot it's no longer in my sig.

I'm running AE CS4 (9.0.2.42) and OS X 10.5.7 on a 2.4Ghz Duo iMac with 4Gb Ram.

To be honest, it was more of a funny story to tell - I had resigned myself to the fact that it was just too strange an issue to be solveable.

Tristan Nieto
Visual Effects & Motion Graphics
tristannieto.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: World's most bizarre AE error...
by on Jul 20, 2010 at 2:46:06 pm

[Tristan Nieto] "I'm running AE CS4 (9.0.2.42) and OS X 10.5.7 on a 2.4Ghz Duo iMac with 4Gb Ram."

I can think of a few things that may be giving you fits.
People who run Final Cut Pro (and AE) are continually warned against doing mere upgrades for both application software and the OS. The FCP pros always clone the current system drive, then do a clean install of both OS and apps when upgrading.

Now, that's a big deal, and you may be reluctant to do so; I can't blame you. So here are some more common weirdness-inducing conditions:
  • Corrupt or bad plugins: start up AE holding down the Tab key.
  • Corrupt footage: start up AE with caps lock on.
  • User files on the system drive: the most basic no-no; put 'em on an external drive, if necessary.
  • Using Open GL to accelerate renders: it only occasionally helps, and many times hinders. Turn it off.
  • Using multiprocessing: you've only got 4 gigs, and that's not nearly enough to use it. Turn it off.
  • And the #1 cause of pre-AE 10 weirdness... the wrong kind of video footage. Read On:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jul 20, 2010 at 4:10:20 pm

Thanks for your help.

I can say straight away that it's not a footage issue - the project in question is a motion graphics animation that doesn't use any footage. I don't have multiprocessing or Open GL on. The only plugins I'm using are the cycore ones (though I suppose they're no less susceptible to corruption).

I have tried to work with non-optimised footage before and experienced varying degrees of instability, but this problem is so oddly specific. It seems to happen only with this one project, but doing a save-as to a new project doesn't seem to help, even on a different suite.

I'm not sure what the auto-update thing has to do with the problem either. Maybe nothing, not sure.

Given its limited effect, I'm not sure it's worth a reinstall, but if it starts to become a repeat problem...

:-\

Tristan Nieto

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: World's most bizarre AE error...
by on Jul 20, 2010 at 4:33:42 pm

[Tristan Nieto] "It seems to happen only with this one project..."

Oh I missed that factoid. Tell you what: create a new project. Import the problem project into the new one. Move everything into the new one, and delete the now-empty old project folder in the project window. Then -- and ONLY then -- do a project save under a new name.

Tell us if that works, okay?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joel HuffordRe: World's most bizarre AE error...
by on Jul 21, 2010 at 12:56:33 am

I was having a similar issue with the auto-save dialog box popping up, then AE crashing. After some searching around the web I was able to resolve my issue by checking the "Allow Scripts to Write Files and Access network" dialog box in the general section of the preferences.

perhaps this could work for you as well?

I'm on AE CS4, using a MacBook, Core 2 Duo with Mac OS X 10.6.3 and 4GB RAM.

joel

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2010 at 9:10:50 am

That's a really interesting thought. I'll look into that.

Again, what's weirding me out is the part where it always decides to save when I paste a block of text.... that's just down-right nutty.

Tristan Nieto

Return to posts index

Matthew WoodsRe: World's most bizarre AE error...
by on Jul 22, 2010 at 8:47:11 pm

Are you sure its not auto saving because its crashing?
After Effects will often do an automatic save when it realizes that it has crashed or become unstable.
It usually saves the file in the same folder with the original with an _# after it. Sometimes this save file preserves your work, sometimes its corrupt. If the crash save hangs, the save file is usually corrupt.

Two things I might try to keep it from crashing.

1. Try trashing your preferences. (home/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects) I find that AE's preferences can often get corrupted and cause weird crashes. If this works, and you are running time machine, you can restore to an old version of your prefs very easily.

2. Are you pasting some weird formatting with your text? I often use a program called Plain Clip:
http://www.bluem.net/en/mac/plain-clip/ To strip the formatting from my text before I paste it into AE.

Also, I found AE CS4 to be really buggy on the mac. It was in my opinion, a downgrade from CS3 because it introduced more bugs than useful features. I'm loving CS5 though, so I would seriously consider upgrading.

Need a quick break from motion graphics?
Try my game Constellation at:
http://www.paperdragongames.com

Return to posts index

by on Jul 27, 2010 at 12:40:48 pm

Are you sure its not auto saving because its crashing?

Yeah, because it autosaves to the autosave folder, then crashes, then saves a "_1" version to the main folder. The "_1" version saves fine but does not include the pasted text. The autosaved version, however, is corrupted and doesn't open.

Trashing prefs was the first thing I tried, but it didn't seem to do much. The formatting idea was a good one, but looking at the text, it doesn't seem to have any fancy formatting in it. I will check out that program, tho.

And yes, CS4 for Mac does seem to be buggier than CS3, but up/downgrading isn't on the cards right now.

Tristan Nieto

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2010 at 9:07:23 am

Thanks Dave,

I did try that one, but I think I might have mixed the order up (ie - saving first and importing later). I'll give it another go and see how it works out.

Tristan Nieto

Return to posts index

by on Jul 27, 2010 at 12:49:21 pm

Thanks to everyone who helped out on this issue.

In the end, the solution turned out to be (drumroll......)

Ignore it and it'll go away.

Basically, I avoided the cut-paste action by just typing the text in. Since then, everything's been smooth sailing. I brought up an older version of the project to see if it still happens and oddly enough I can't seem to reproduce the problem. Whatever it was, it appears it simply can't be bothered to bug me anymore.

Sometimes I wish all problems were like that.

Tristan Nieto

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]