ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Abberrations when using "ripple" effect in AE Cs5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Amann
Abberrations when using "ripple" effect in AE Cs5
on Jul 19, 2010 at 12:01:32 pm

Dear creative cow community!

I have a problem within a composition in After Effects CS 5 that I've been breaking my head about and have so far not found a solution! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'm currently designing an intro and the idea is that paintings are "bleeding" through paper. I did this using the ripple effect and opacity tweaks and it looks just awesome and is really what I wanted to achieve. Problem is: As soon as i render it in full resolution (HD) I get artifacts and aberrations within the paintings (kind of looks like stars) . When I render it with half the quality everything looks great and no aberrations at all! I know it has something to do with ripple effect so I tried the "ripple dissolve-transistion" which produced the exact same problem but not as strong. Wave Warp works but is not as pretty as ripple. I also tried it on different computers and they all produced the same problem!It gets better when I reduce the ripple radius but then the whole effect is lost. Please help me I'm truly frustrated! Is there a free effect plugin I could use instead of ripple? If this problem has been posted before I apologize. Here are the com settins: 1920x1080 widescreen square pixels framerate: 25.
The comp is about a minute long.

Best regards
Max

Return to posts index

Max Amann
Re: Abberrations when using "ripple" effect in AE Cs5
on Jul 19, 2010 at 1:48:14 pm

Found the problem!

Thanks anyway

Close please

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 19, 2010 at 2:13:17 pm

What do you mean by "stars"? Could you post an example pic?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Max Amann
on Jul 19, 2010 at 2:21:29 pm

Hey there!

Thanks for your quick reply! I found a solution to the problem!

Many thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 19, 2010 at 5:32:39 pm

Care to share your solution in case someone who has a similar issue comes here searching for the answer?
(Google and especially Adobe's customized After Effects Community Search would pull it up.)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Max Amann
Re: Aberrations when using "ripple" effect in AE Cs5
on Jul 19, 2010 at 7:35:10 pm

Of course, sorry!

Problem was that I used the effect on separate psd layers not on the merged file or the rendered movie if you will. So I rendered the part that I wanted to "ripple" and which caused the problem (with alpha but without the ripple effect of course) and then replaced the psd layers in my comp with the rendered movie file. Then I applied the ripple effect and everything works just fine now. No aberrations, works great!
Sure enough makes sense now and I wonder why I haven't thought about it earlier. Guess the problem was that the edges of the psd layers had a transparency gradient (Does that even make sense?). So that might have caused the aberrations.

Best regards.

Return to posts index

George Coffey
Re: Aberrations when using "ripple" effect in AE Cs5
on Nov 5, 2012 at 11:41:06 am

just a quick note to add to this. i found that ripple causes all kinds of problems if you have it on an adjustment layer as well. i ended up having to put the effect on top of a composition which contained the whole project.
i also couldn't see this problem until i started to render in full HD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]