ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

correct way to prepaire footage for tv

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cherlique lilienthalcorrect way to prepaire footage for tv
by on Jul 19, 2010 at 6:13:34 am

Hi everybody,

I just finished editing my first official music video. I rendered it out in .avi lossles format. the quality looks awsome on the LCD monitor but when i burnt it to dvd and viewed on my telivision it looked very dark and oversaturated.

I did some research on what the problem might be. then i went back into after effects and used color management sdtv ntsc. i also added an adjustment layer on top with the levels effect applied to it. i adjusted the input and output black to 16 and the whites to 235. again i burnt it and it looked pretty much the same.

can annybody out there help me with this? what is the correct way to prepare your final production for the tv screen?

i used encore to burn the dvd. i render with the lossles format. my pc runs a dual core processor 2.8ghz 4gb ram and a 1gb geforce 9400gt. 17" acer lcd monitor.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: correct way to prepaire footage for tv
by on Jul 19, 2010 at 8:58:21 am

The way the final image looks on your TV may not be that relevant. Check your tv settings to make sure that it's displaying a normal range and it is not set to a preset like "Multimedia" or other that bumps up the chrominance and contrast.
Compressing to MPG2 (the DVD format) usually heightens the contrast and saturates the color in your video.
Is your final piece going to be delivered in a DVD format or are you just making a DVD for your viewing pleasure? Usually, each TV station has their own required format- some use even .avi uncompressed.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Andy GeorgeRe: correct way to prepaire footage for tv
by on Jul 19, 2010 at 4:00:42 pm

I agree with Ted. NTSC is often jokingly referred to as "Never The Same Color", because
the end user has so many ways of changing how the video will look by twiddling with the dials on there end.

Without looking at a professional monitor that can be calibrated accurately it's all a guess as to what the end result really looks like.

-Andy George
Senior Editor
http://www.chiselindustries.com

Return to posts index

cherlique lilienthalRe: correct way to prepaire footage for tv
by on Jul 20, 2010 at 5:15:18 am

thanx for the response andy. what are the best professional monitors to use in this type of situation?

Return to posts index

Andy GeorgeRe: correct way to prepaire footage for tv
by on Jul 20, 2010 at 4:05:53 pm

I use Sony's but Im sure there are a ton of different lines out there that would work fine. The NTSC versions are somewhat affordable. I have a 20 inch Sony Trinitron for NTSC stuff that has worked great for about 10 years now.

HD Pro monitors are more expensive. A starter 17" is going to run at least 2,000-2,500

Most of them have a "blue only" mode which is what allows you to calibrate it using bars from your editing app.

I would do a search for "broadcast monitor" here and over on the FCP/editing forums for some specific recommendations.

-Andy George
Senior Editor
http://www.chiselindustries.com

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2010 at 3:18:46 am

thank you for your insight.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 20, 2010 at 5:09:41 am

thanx for the response Ted. the tv stations i have to deliver to require the final video to be on dvd. and yes when i adjust the brightness of the tv it looks like it should, but when i watch regular programming it looks good with the tv's default brightnes. so should i just render it out with an adjusted brightness?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: correct way to prepaire footage for tv
by on Jul 21, 2010 at 8:48:14 am

You may want to do some tests as far as the adjustment of brightness and chroma, and play back on a few different tvs to figure out which one is the best.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

by on Jul 24, 2010 at 5:42:01 am

I will do that. thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]