ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

newbie question on changing/morphing texts

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Cavenewbie question on changing/morphing texts
by on Jul 16, 2010 at 9:40:14 pm

Not sure how to phrase this, as the subject really does not do the question justice. I am wanting to have several lines of text that appear to change/morph from one to another. Here is an example:

How to do it like this.

How to do it like that.

How to do it.

So starting with the first line of text appearing, then the word this morphs into that, and finally the like that fades to leave the last line. Only want the text in line one to appear, change/morph to line two and finally again into line three (NOTE: will be doing the same process in reverse at end of video). Sorry this is a very convuluted question, but was not quite sure how to properly ask question. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: newbie question on changing/morphing texts
by on Jul 16, 2010 at 10:01:45 pm

There IS a way to morph text in AE using no plugins, but you have to use Illustrator to do it, and it takes a whole bunch of layers.

There's an old, old tutorial on how it's done:
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/gerard_rick/morph.php

It still ought to work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: newbie question on changing/morphing texts
by on Jul 17, 2010 at 12:05:33 am

you can do it in ae, if you convert the text to masks (consult the manual for more on that).

then you can select the mask shape/path that you want to morph to (say the 's' in this) and choose edit>copy.

then select the mask shape/path that you want to morph (say the 't' in that), move to the point where you want the morph to start, add a keyframe, then move to the point where you want the morph to stop and choose edit>paste to paste the 's' mask data into the 't' mask as a new keyframe.

now if you scrub thru, the 't' should morph into the 's'.

the trickier part will be the 'i' and 'a'. the 'a' will most likely be two masks, with one cutting a whole in the other, and the 'i' could be two masks but neither will overlap. so you'll have to see how that works out...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Steve CaveRe: newbie question on changing/morphing texts
by on Jul 17, 2010 at 12:08:52 am

Thanks, I will check it out and update.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]