ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS5 and DVCPRO issues

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike RitchieAE CS5 and DVCPRO issues
by on Jul 15, 2010 at 1:52:58 am

Hey everyone. This is my first post, but I am a frequent visitor of Creative Cow. Please help me if you can...

I recently upgraded to CS5 and have found a snag with After Effects and DVCPRO. I frequently work in and deliver to DVCPRO HD 720p60. When I bring the codec into AE, I tend to change my comp to square pixels and work at 1280x720. However, in CS5, when I go to render I get a little warning in the lower left corner inside my "render settings" dialogue box. It says...

Warning: Output file will be resized from 1280x720 (1.00 PAR) to 960x720 (1.33 PAR) to meet format constraints.

Now, I know that DVCPRO 720p60 is actually 960x720, but for some reason when I render anything out in this codec now, it plays back in quicktime at 4:3 and not 16:9. It seems that AE (CS5) is not telling the codec to use a 1.33 pixel aspcet ratio. I've tried resizing the render, playing around with the comp aspect ratio, etc. EVERY render comes out playing in 4:3. I can change it manually inside of quicktime's settings, but I'm baffled that AE can't do this now. I tested it in CS4 again, and it renders movies that display at 16:9 with this codec, no problem.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Mike Ritchie
gloostudios.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE CS5 and DVCPRO issues
by on Jul 15, 2010 at 4:00:25 pm

You might have made a custom 960x720 comp instead of using the comp preset.

Tell you what: just drag a piece of DVCProHD footage onto the Make Comp icon at the bottom of the project window, creating a new comp in proper resolution and PAR. Nest the 1280x720 comp in it and scale appropriately.

It ought to work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kelly VranesicRe: AE CS5 and DVCPRO issues
by on Oct 14, 2010 at 8:01:26 pm

This answer did not work for me; I am having the same issue. The only difference is, I want it to be 1920x1080, but when I select "DVCPro HD 1080i60, it tells me the output file will be resized from 1920x1080 to 1280x1080. But I don't WANT it to resize! I think I've tried every setting. Any help would be much appreciated!

Return to posts index

by on Oct 14, 2010 at 8:12:39 pm

[Kelly Vranesic] "...when I select "DVCPro HD 1080i60, it tells me the output file will be resized from 1920x1080 to 1280x1080. But I don't WANT it to resize!"

Well, there's a good reason for that: the resolution at 1080 in the DVCPro HD codec IS 1280x1080. That's how 1080 video's recorded in this codec. You could always go with a nice intermediate codec if you wanted.

I haven't had the opportunity to note this particular difference for DVCPro HD in AE 10 yet, but here's another thought: if you're simply exporting, try using AE's Render Queue instead and see what happens.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Oct 14, 2010 at 8:29:44 pm

What other codec would you suggest? The only reason I am using DVCPro HD 1080i60 is that is the specification of the playback system, the Omneon, that our TD uses. Perhaps it takes other codecs.

I am using the Render Queue, that is where I get the 'mismatch' warning.

Any further help would be useful...I don't know why this worked in previous versions and not in CS 5. In CS3, when I rendered DVCPro HD 1080i60 it came out 1920x1080. I wonder if the Omneon will then stretch it back to where it should be?

Return to posts index

by on Oct 14, 2010 at 9:00:11 pm

[Kelly Vranesic] "I wonder if the Omneon will then stretch it back to where it should be?"

My station's spot server can play HD and SD spots back to back. I wouldn't be surprised if yours can deal with 1280x1080. You could send a test file.

[Kelly Vranesic] "What other codec would you suggest?"

Quicktime's PNG codec (not the image sequence) or the Animation codec; both are lossless. If this gizmo of yours lives in Windows-land and needs Windows-type codecs, I can't help much.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Oct 14, 2010 at 9:35:43 pm

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

by on Oct 14, 2010 at 8:31:18 pm

What other codec would you suggest? The only reason I am using DVCPro HD 1080i60 is that is the specification of the playback system, the Omneon, that our TD uses. Perhaps it takes other codecs.

Any further help would be useful...I don't know why this worked in previous versions and not in CS 5. In CS3, when I rendered DVCPro HD 1080i60 it came out 1920x1080.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 14, 2010 at 8:56:43 pm

Any further help would be useful...I don't know why this worked in previous versions and not in CS 5. In CS3, when I rendered DVCPro HD 1080i60 it came out 1920x1080.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]