ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Red footage clipped in half after copying to Mac OS Extended EXT drive

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Urosh PerishicRed footage clipped in half after copying to Mac OS Extended EXT drive
by on Jul 14, 2010 at 3:01:30 pm

Hi all,
thanks in advance for any much needed advice.

I'm working on this spot with 15-20 Red files shot in 4K.
All the AE compositing is done in AE CS5 with a huge amount of AE crashing problems, plugin crashes and so on. I got past that and now getting ready to deliver a tool kit to the client.

I have collected all of my assets to a G-RAID 1TB EXT drive, formatted Mac OS Extended. After collecting the files I opened the collected AE file and to my amazement all of my footage has been clipped in half!

My original project and files are on a EXT G-RAID drive formatted MS-DOS that i was copying from. (This project has been jumping from PC to Mac from the beginning)

I checked the lengths of different clips and they vary at their cut off point but in finder, when comparing the copy to the original they are the exact same size!

I tried manually copying a file onto the Ext drive to see whether it was AE's fault and imported that file to compare lengths and it was the same short clip as from the collected source.

Not really sure what to do next. Probably copy onto another drive and see if that works.

anybody else has encountered this problem?

Return to posts index

Uli PlankRe: Red footage clipped in half after copying to Mac OS Extended EXT drive
by on Jul 14, 2010 at 4:03:24 pm

CS5 or not?

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Urosh PerishicRe: Red footage clipped in half after copying to Mac OS Extended EXT drive
by on Jul 14, 2010 at 4:15:55 pm

Yeah, I am working in CS5

Return to posts index

Jim PerryRe: Red footage clipped in half after copying to Mac OS Extended EXT drive
by on Aug 2, 2012 at 2:01:04 pm

August 2012.

I'm using Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 on Windows 7, and this is still an issue, with no resolution I have found. We have done a rough cut with Green screen footage shot on an EPIC Red, and I did the rough cut in Premiere Pro, and used the "replace with After Effects Compostion", to do the finishing/keying etc. in AE.

It works fine in AE, but if I pass the file in a collected form, to a work colleage, it clips some of the footage, just as Urosh Perishic states.

This only happens doing a "Collect" function... the AE export/link from Premiere is fine... just something gets lost in the translation, when AE goes to do the Collect function.

I'm suprised that RED/Adobe hasn't gotten on this straight away, because this could really screw someone down the road, if they are using this feature to archive a project, and trying to consolidate down the massive raw files of the RED format.

I even looked on AE scripts and found nothing. This is basically the only post I've found on this matter. I'm suprised, in that it could be a massive issue for someone archiving, and them thinking it is archiving properly, during the collect.

Oh by the way if you trace the clipped file back to its original folder and see the other parts to the file, you can move those over to your collected footage file folder, and all will be fixed, but this is a per clip, manual, clip by clip scenario.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Red footage clipped in half after copying to Mac OS Extended EXT drive
by on Jul 14, 2010 at 5:13:47 pm

[Urosh Perishic] "My original project and files are on a EXT G-RAID drive formatted MS-DOS that i was copying from. (This project has been jumping from PC to Mac from the beginning) "

I suspect the files suffer from the file size limitation imposed by Windows drives that had the wrong kind of formatting.... FAT 32, perhaps?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Urosh PerishicRe: Red footage clipped in half after copying to Mac OS Extended EXT drive
by on Jul 14, 2010 at 5:34:12 pm

Thank you for responding.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. What I fail to comprehend is the fact that the project loads fine on a mac from the FAT 32 Ext drive and everything works fine.

But now i tried copying a R3D file from the master ext drive (Mac OS Extended that the editor used to cut the footage) onto the other Mac drive (that's i'm trying to deliver on) and the same problem happens once i import the file into AE. I copied this manually, not through AE, so things are getting even more confusing!!!

So whether i copy from the master ext or from the PC ext drive that i worked on, the files don't work once imported into AE.

maybe the Mac Ext drive that i'm copying to is corrupted? logical i guess. I'll try reformatting the thing and see if that solves it.
argh!! this thing is due today! :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Red footage clipped in half after copying to Mac OS Extended EXT drive
by on Jul 14, 2010 at 5:46:17 pm

Find the original clips on the original Windows drive. Look at their file sizes. Use a Windows machine to do it. You will be able to tell very quickly if that's the problem.

You may have to get the original files re-copied onto a new Windows drive, one with proper disk formatting.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jul 14, 2010 at 7:37:36 pm

Thanks for the reply once again.
I just checked the file sizes, and they are exactly the same yet the clip is half the length.

going deeper down the rabbit hole....

Return to posts index

by on Jul 14, 2010 at 9:16:08 pm

PROBLEM RESOLVED!!

it was my lack of knowledge of how Red footage works.

Solution: nothing was wrong!
Red creates a folder for each clip recorded. If the clip is longer than 4 minutes it creates another file and continues saving. so if let's say the clip is 9 minutes long, it will create 3 files. and name them _01.R3D , _02.R3D and _03.R3D

when importing into After Effects you only select the _01.R3D file and it will import all R3D files that are in that folder as ONE!

So, Collect files doesn't work for RED footage because after effects only collects the one file that you originally imported and leaves the others behind, making those clips 4 mins long each.

I'm writing all this out in case anybody else encounters this issue doesn't have to bang their head on the desk, cursing the AE gods in despair.

Dave, thank you for all your help!!
I am off to delivery and looking foward to sleeping tonight!! :)
Ollie

Return to posts index

by on Jul 14, 2010 at 10:10:57 pm

I'm VERY glad you found the solution. G'night!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jim PerryRe: Red footage clipped in half after copying to Mac OS Extended EXT drive
by on Aug 16, 2012 at 3:07:42 pm

I posted this on the reduser.net forums, but haven't seen a response from Red yet, or anyone for that matter.

We have footage shot on a Red Epic. We edited the footage together in a rough cut within Premiere Pro, and then used dynamic link to bring it into After Effects.

Once in After Effects I did a collect to send it to a colleague to have them key it and do color correction etc.

The collect does fine, except for the fact that the Epic red saves in 4GB chunks, and when you link it in AE it works fine. Once collected, the clips if over 4GB, don't show the sequential clips following... thus leaving sections of black.

What I have to do manually is go into the original AE Project, not the collected one, "reveal in explorer" the missing other Red "chunks" files and move them into the footage clips folder of the collected project, to get the collected AE Prj to work correctly.

Someone at Red or Adobe needs to get this resolved and get on the same page... for some reason AE isn't picking up these additional red files.

This is under Windows 7, with Adobe Creative Suite 5.

This is a big bug if someone is using AE to do collects for someone else to work on footage or using AE to archive. You'll be missing sections of video, and only end up with a gap.

Return to posts index

Mike FrezeRe: Red footage clipped in half after copying to Mac OS Extended EXT drive
by on Jul 9, 2014 at 9:07:16 pm

Thank you! This resolved my problem. However, is it 4min, or 4GB when Red cuts off and makes an new file? My files was only 2:39 and it made two files. At any rate, it's very strange that they haven't found a way yet to consolidate them into one, given the fact that you can see the entire clip in AE or Premiere.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]