ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

VFX software

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Abin AlexanderVFX software
by on Jul 14, 2010 at 7:31:48 am

Hi everyone, I want to know that is there's any free vfx software like After Effects that I can use for my short film?

~Abin

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: VFX software
by on Jul 14, 2010 at 2:53:27 pm

Sorry, I don't know.

If you've got AE, you don't exactly maintain a lookout for freebies that probably can only do part of what AE does.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: VFX software
by on Jul 14, 2010 at 3:14:19 pm

[Abin Alexander] "Hi everyone, I want to know that is there's any free vfx software like After Effects that I can use for my short film?"

I'm with Dave; I don't know for sure, but I don't think there is anything comparable to AE. In my opinion, the single best thing about After Effects is the vibrant ecosystem that's built around it: both third-party developers and end-user communities like this one. Even if you can find some free software that does what you need, it's unlikely to have the same depth of third-party developer and end-user support that makes AE great.

That said, if you're on a Mac and you have Final Cut Studio, you already have Motion, which you could use for effects and compositing. Also, there's Blender, an open-source, free 3D app, which does have a built-in nodal compositor -- though it's nothing like AE.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]