ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Live sketching

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shannon BedfordLive sketching
by on Jul 14, 2010 at 2:34:58 am

Hi, I'm not an After Effects user myself but am looking to hire an After Effects animator to do this effect for me. He has never tried this but thinks he should be able do it.

Each shot is of a construction such as a residential property development or a waterfront development. I want to create a "sketching on" effect, with the final image being an artists impression a finished construction. (We will key live people into the foreground, the image will "sketch" behind)

I have not been able to find any examples of this though I have seen it on television many times.
Can anyone help with links to sample videos advice on how to go about this and advice on what kind of source drawing to use?

Here is an example of a typical artist impression we might use.

S Bedford, Western Australia

Return to posts index

Adriano MoraesRe: Live sketching
by on Jul 14, 2010 at 1:08:45 pm

Hi there Bedford.

First off I think it´s kind of unprofessional do come here and publicly doubt the talent of the person you´re hiring.

That said keep in mind that you can accomplish a LOT and I mean a LOT of stuff in AE. There are limitations but also those can be used by a creative mind to be transformed in breakthroughs.

Another thing: AE is a very complex tool. Sure most kids today can mimic tutorials and simply invert the order of the text on the exemples and say they "work on AE" but the real research you should be doing is on this person's demoreel and background. There you might be able to find out if the person is or is not capable for the task.

And yes it can be done. Fairly easy with the proper planning and right material if you ask me. But I wouldn't dare steping in front of your guy/girl and giving my impressions and ideas.

I hope you didn´t find my response offensive. It is not at all supposed to be.

Cheers and all the best.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Live sketching
by on Jul 14, 2010 at 2:13:57 pm

Off the top of my head you could use Stroke to animate the lines as though it is being drawn. Then use wipes to draw on the colored areas. Technically this isn't a difficult effect but it is tedious cos you'll have to dissect the image into various components and then Stroke and Wipe judiciously.

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved