ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3d object - can I precomp it?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Miller
3d object - can I precomp it?
on Jul 12, 2010 at 10:20:11 pm

Hey there, did a search and nothing came up, though I'm sure this must have come up.

In short I was trying to test out a problem for someone and stumbled upon my own.

Made a 3d box, want to put an effect on it - problem - it's 6 layers. So I would think, precompose and put the effect on the precomp, but - yes you all know already - the precomp is 2d.

So I tick the 3d box on the precomp, but the precomp has no Z depth to begin with meaning its now just a spinning flat in 3d space.

Can someone tell me what I'm missing here. I don't think you can do it, but render as a 3d object? Can you do that?

Cheers in advance

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 3d object - can I precomp it?
on Jul 12, 2010 at 10:36:34 pm

Turn on the Collapse Transformations switch.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joseph Pole
on Jul 13, 2010 at 12:09:00 am

James, try the collapse transformation switch. See pic below

http://www.josephpole.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 13, 2010 at 12:36:29 am

As Dave and Joseph mentioned, Collapse Transformations is what you need.

I'd also point out that since AE isn't really a 3D application, it's pretty easy to accidentally break the 3D space in your comp. For example, if you insert a 2D layer in between 3D layers, the 3D layers won't intersect properly. For more, see the online help page on 3D layer interactions, render order, and collapsed transformations.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 13, 2010 at 3:42:05 am

...and, as I have recently learned, you can use 2D layers among 3D layers to your advantage. Yes, doing so screws up a lot of things, but if you keep your render order straight in your head, it can be pretty useful.

Of course, the tidbit above has been true since AE 6 at least. I never said I was a lightning-fast learner.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

James Miller
on Aug 23, 2010 at 5:13:54 pm

I love you all. If you were all very hot females I would treat each and every one of you to dinner ;)

Thanks, I thought I had to be missing something obvious. Cheers. I did however put myself in a world of pain after I found that switch (thanks to your posts). Made a cube and wanted to spin it on the corner.... who knew getting a box to stand on its tip in 3d space could be so hard. Still didn't manage it, I just gave up - thanks everyone for all the help though!

I'm sure I'll have some more problems for you all soon - but thanks again for your time, it really helped out a lot!

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]