ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

can AE turn .avi's into playable DVD's? (for dvd players)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darren Fetzercan AE turn .avi's into playable DVD's? (for dvd players)
by on Jul 12, 2010 at 10:19:53 pm

can AE turn .avi's into playable DVD's? (for dvd players)

how would i accomplish this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: can AE turn .avi's into playable DVD's? (for dvd players)
by on Jul 12, 2010 at 10:28:54 pm

To author a DVD, you need to make an mpeg2 file. So you should read this:

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Darren FetzerRe: can AE turn .avi's into playable DVD's? (for dvd players)
by on Jul 12, 2010 at 11:51:29 pm

wow, i'm shocked about AE 8O... i figured if anything could compress at a high quality, it would be that. weird...

thanks for the other bits of info too. but i'm a newbie when it comes to converting .avi's to a functioning dvd. so i need a crash course on (step-by-step) on how to do it.

i want a DVD of the 1986 Akira VHS movie because the store bought DVD release has bad voice acting. so i have an .avi file of the VHS version, and all i need is to know how to make it play on a DVD player; as a DVD.

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: can AE turn .avi's into playable DVD's? (for dvd players)
by on Jul 13, 2010 at 1:13:14 am

Buy a DVD Authoring app (or maybe just a DVD burning app) and check out the DVD Authoring COW Forum for more info.

The app that came with your PC might do it -- check its Help.

But no, AE won't do it.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: can AE turn .avi's into playable DVD's? (for dvd players)
by on Jul 13, 2010 at 1:10:51 pm

AE CAN compress at high quality, but only a single pass. For the best-looking files at smaller file sizes, you've gotta go with multi-pass which AE cannot do (due to the frame by frame way it renders). Adobe Media Encoder, on the other hand, does a great job. So does Adobe Encore. And Encore will actually get you to the "burning a disc" part of things.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]