ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Making 3d airport lines on 3d model of earth

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vivian Richardson
Making 3d airport lines on 3d model of earth
on Jul 12, 2010 at 5:37:47 pm

Hi there! Hoping someone can point me in the right direction:
I've got a very hi resolution map of the earth I've sphereized in AE. I'm zooming out and my client would like arched lines coming from one point on the map (Orlando) to other places on the map. Kind of a high tech version of the Indiana Jones airplane lines.

Has anyone seen a good tutorial for this?

I do have trapcode particular and I'm working in CS4.

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Making 3d airport lines on 3d model of earth
on Jul 12, 2010 at 6:07:59 pm

How have you spherized this image? Use the same method, but make the sphere bigger on your lines.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 12, 2010 at 8:09:23 pm

[Vivian Richardson] "I've got a very hi resolution map of the earth I've sphereized in AE."

I hope you used CC Sphere and not the Spherize effect. Then you easily can do what Michael says.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Vivian Richardson
on Jul 12, 2010 at 8:58:16 pm

Thank you, both for the ideas/tips. I did use CC sphere -- Now it's just a matter of making it look fancy. :)

Return to posts index

Jens Enqvist
on Jul 14, 2010 at 8:14:43 am

Like Michael suggested.

A tip, if you want the lines to actually be straight spherical lines, you may want to check out CFX Sphere Utilities which contains MapLine that draws correct lines on spherical maps. There is a demo available at cycorefx.com. The package is designed to work with spherical maps and the special distortions required.

Return to posts index

David Superville
on Jul 16, 2010 at 2:35:34 pm

what i've done in the past is go back to the original earth texture, create a new solid and start creating masks that start at my place of origin and end at my destination (ie, first point in miami, second point in alaska.) i then generate stroke and animate it as needed. i then precomp this layer with the earth map texture and then "spherize" them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]