ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

re-render a movie?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Sabiston
re-render a movie?
on Jul 11, 2010 at 10:30:57 pm

Hello,
Can someone please tell me how to re-render my composition to a movie, the same way as I have just done?

It is the commonest thing I can imagine wanting to do in AE yet I never have found out how. I render a movie out to quicktime, say Sorenson3 format, change the stretch scale to something, turn on audio, pick a filename, etc. Render it. See a mistake. Fix the mistake, then...

how to just run that again without having to manually make all those changes again, each one potentially forgotten as I do this over and over?

many thanks to someone who can tell me!
This is CS3 I have.
Bob

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: re-render a movie?
on Jul 12, 2010 at 8:34:55 am

In the Render Queue select your previous render and hit Ctrl D / Cmnd D (on Mac) to duplicate- this will give you a duplicate of your original settings- re-name if you want to render to a different location.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 12, 2010 at 5:49:45 pm

[Bob Sabiston] "Can someone please tell me how to re-render my composition to a movie, the same way as I have just done? It is the commonest thing I can imagine wanting to do in AE yet I never have found out how. I render a movie out to quicktime, say Sorenson3 format, change the stretch scale to something, turn on audio, pick a filename, etc. Render it. See a mistake. Fix the mistake, then... "

Ted's instructions on how to duplicate items in your render sequence are correct.

I'd suggest, though, that you encode to a lossless format (like Quicktime Animation at 100%, or Quicktime PNG) and use a third-party encoder (like Telestream Episode, Sorenson Squeeze, or Apple Compressor) to create your compressed deliverables. The AE render queue is not capable of multi-pass encoding, which improves compression efficiency and reduces artifacts.

Sorenson 3 is quite outdated now, and is considered a legacy codec; unless you have a specific requirement for Sorenson 3, you should be able to get much better results in a smaller file with the h.264 codec. If you must deliver Sorenson 3, I'd look at Sorenson Squeeze, which includes the Sorenson 3 professional compressor -- a huge quality improvement over the (free) Sorenson 3 Basic encoder included with Quicktime.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Jul 12, 2010 at 6:00:25 pm

You can also just create a custom output module. Then your specific settings will appear on the drop down list in the render queue.
Joey

Return to posts index

Bob Sabiston
on Jul 12, 2010 at 6:34:37 pm

I'd love to use H.264 but in 5 years or so I've never been able to figure out how to get it to reproduce colors correctly. They are always pretty far off, washed out and lighter than the original. It is a shame because it is all Apple will tolerate anymore, pretty much. You would think they would have addressed the problem by now.

Bob

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 12, 2010 at 7:15:52 pm

[Bob Sabiston] "I'd love to use H.264 but in 5 years or so I've never been able to figure out how to get it to reproduce colors correctly."

Walter Soyka nailed it: render high-quality out of AE, and use a different application to compress. Here's why:

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]