ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

character animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Mallancharacter animation
by on Jul 11, 2010 at 12:52:00 pm

I am in the process of planning a character animation and i am currently doing all the preliminary drawings for one of the characters. I am familiar with the puppet pin tool and the need to draw each moving part individually. However, I am curious to know the best way to prepare and animate something such as the hair. See the initial sketch of this character:¤t=SDC1...

I intend for the hair to move in the wind so I have tried drawing each of the main "spikes" individually. However, I want to preserve the the thinner strands of hair as you can see drawn here and I want to add this texture and colour using photoshop. I cant see how this can be done without distorting the image and flaws becoming visible once the image is animated. I have considered just drawing it as one individual vector image but I fear the puppet pin tool needs more flexibility for it to look right, ie. more individual moving parts

hope this makes sense and someone can help!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: character animation
by on Jul 12, 2010 at 8:41:23 am

What I would do for the hair is to build a base that will not move (in the wind, but just follow the moves of the head)and that will allow for the individual hair pieces to move without showing a hole under. Then you can use distortion tools, like Mesh Warp or Bezier Warp to animate the hair being blown by the wind.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

Christopher MallanRe: character animation
by on Jul 12, 2010 at 3:01:21 pm

Okay, I'll give that a try.

I understand how that will work for solid vector shapes but how would I animate, for example, a hand drawing of the hair, with small details such as tiny strands of hair, without them becoming distorted?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: character animation
by on Jul 12, 2010 at 3:15:33 pm

I suppose it all depends on what you see in your mind's eye. There could be a very fine line for you between hair moving in the wind and distortion.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved