ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Realistic reflection

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan StoneRealistic reflection
by on Jul 11, 2010 at 12:46:54 pm

Hey everyone,

I've just shot a number of products on a revolving turntable. They are all pretty much box shaped. How can I create a realistic reflection during the revolution? Both duplicating the layer, corner pin and many of the reflection plug-ins I've used have the problem with the 3D perspective. I seem to require a more powerful distort effect - any ideas? Running CS5.

Picture by way of explanation: http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss360/LambdaFilms/ProvingElectricalSyste...

Thanks,

Ry

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Realistic reflection
by on Jul 11, 2010 at 2:47:05 pm

Have you searched the COW for "reflection" and "floor" together?

Return to posts index

James MillerRe: Realistic reflection
by on Jul 11, 2010 at 10:06:04 pm

Give this a bash

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/reflection_plug-in/

free and comes with a tutorial

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.

Return to posts index

Ryan StoneRe: Realistic reflection
by on Jul 12, 2010 at 10:36:39 am

Hi Steve,

I have indeed and I didn't find anything that could help.

James, thanks for the link. I do actually already have VC Reflect, and whilst it works to a degree on 3D stationary objects, it can't handle a rotating object.

Kind regards,

Ry

Return to posts index

by on Jul 12, 2010 at 1:26:10 pm

Hi there.

In your example the problem was that the reflection was at an odd angle. If you watch the tutorial at 3:17 he goes over this problem.

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial/reflection_plug-in/

I've made projects where the camera pan's around the object and now had any problems. Am I misunderstanding what's going wrong for you?

Cheers

Return to posts index

by on Jul 12, 2010 at 5:15:05 pm

Hi James,

Yeah I've looked at that tutorial. The problem is that a) the box doesn't revolve and b) when you angle and then skew the reflection, it'll fix and mirror one plane of the box but not the other - in this tutorial case, the angle of the DVD spine will still be wrong however it's concealed, because he composites the reflection slightly higher and behind the original image. Something you can get away with as it's a dark and not simple box, mine are brighter and you'll notice if some of the reflection is missing.

In short, the angle/skew option will only fix one angle of the box :(

...unless I'm missing something important?

Thanks for your help though

Ry

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Realistic reflection
by on Jul 12, 2010 at 7:31:59 pm

[Ryan Stone] "b) when you angle and then skew the reflection, it'll fix and mirror one plane of the box but not the other"

yep... it will work well enough if the layer is fairly flat, like the dvd case in the tutorial. but this has much more depth, and that technique doesn't work well enough for some thing like this.

you may be able to use one of andrew's 3d-projection techniques to build a cube that matches your object (at least the front and sides), then project your footage on the cube (make sure you set the light's shadow diffusion to zero). then position and rotate the camera so that projected cube lines up if the footage as a reflection (of course you'll need to animate the rotation of the cube to match the footage too).

i can't imagine that you'll get a 'perfect' result with something this (the fact that it's not a simple, hard edged cube will be the issue), so i'd plan to have a soft and subtle reflection...

the other way, which may actually be faster and easier if you are/know the person who shot the footage... reshoot it with glass over the turn table.

i imagine that you had a green table and a green back drop. adding glass to the table would hopefully produce good enough reflections that could be retained when keying. just watch out for glare or unwanted set reflections that couldn't easily be roto'ed out.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Jul 13, 2010 at 10:48:33 am

Thanks Kevin,

I've come to the same conclusion. I'll have a look at the projection idea but I've got a lot of these units to do so may have to find something a bit quicker - and yes a subtle, blurred reflection is looking more likely.

Oh well,

thanks for all your help guys

Ry

Return to posts index

by on Oct 5, 2010 at 11:02:47 am

Hey I'm sure you've probably moved on from this now, but I made a 3d cube, precomp'd it, suck vc reflect on it, and spun it, and it worked. Looked like a table top. I might be missing something but it the hardest point was getting the anchor point in the right place. Anyway, hope you got there in the end.

Return to posts index

Javed ShaikhRe: Realistic reflection
by on Sep 9, 2015 at 5:41:50 am

Checkout this tutorial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]