ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Scanning Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris lawScanning Effect
by on Jul 10, 2010 at 3:49:17 pm

Hello i wanted to ask you about this scanning effect i saw in this video here.

if you look at 0:02 to 0:03 and 0:07 to 0:08 you will see a thick white line which comes down quickly.

I was wondering how i could achieve an effect like that in after effects and if theirs any tutorials for it.

Thanks alot

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Scanning Effect
by on Jul 10, 2010 at 7:19:25 pm

Easy as pie.
  • Create a solid, make it light gray.
  • Scale the vertical dimension ONLY (click on the little chain-looking icon first) and make it about 5%.
  • Animate the solid's vertical position from top to bottom at the speed of your choice.
  • Change the solid's blend mode to something like Add or Overlay. Play around with 'em.
  • Adjust the solid's opacity to taste.

You're done!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jul 10, 2010 at 8:06:04 pm

Whoops! I forgot to add this: you should also put a rectangular mask on the solid, move the top of the mask down, the bottom of the mask up, and put some vertical blur on the mask.

There.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Chris lawRe: Scanning Effect
by on Jul 10, 2010 at 9:30:40 pm

Hey i tried what you said but i can't find that type of blur and i've attached a picture of what it looks like. Also i put a mask around it but i dont get what you mean about moving the top points to the bottom and the bottom to the top. Because thats exactly the same as before i hope you can sort something out for me. Thanks

895_untitled.png.zip

Return to posts index

by on Jul 12, 2010 at 3:24:12 pm

[Chris law] "i can't find that type of blur "

There are at least three blur effects that allow you to do horizontal blur only or vertical only Pick one.

[Chris law] "Also i put a mask around it but i dont get what you mean about moving the top points to the bottom and the bottom to the top."

You need to constrict the mask vertically in order to get the blur to fall off naturally. Double-click on the solid, opening the layer window, and move the mask points. Move the two on the top down a little, and move the two on the bottom up a little. Play with the layer's vertical scale if necessary.

If you're still stumped, I heartily recommend this link:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Chris lawRe: Scanning Effect
by on Jul 13, 2010 at 7:20:25 am

Thanks alot i've got it working now i need to watch some more tutorials on masks and that :P.

Regards Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]