ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

help needed with rotation of tracking area/ cloned area

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Iversonhelp needed with rotation of tracking area/ cloned area
by on Jul 10, 2010 at 1:01:42 pm

Ok, let me try this again and I'll try to be clearer. I used track motion and a single tracking point/ area to follow a feature in a video. I then pick whipped a cloned area back to the feature area of the single tracking point, so the clone would follow the tracked area. Herein lies the problem, however. While I can adjust clone movement of individual frames simply by adjusting the feature center values (since I have the clone pick whipped to the feature center of the track point), I see no way to adjust rotation and I need to be able to do this. In retrospect, it looks like I should have chosen the "rotation" option in the tracker menu and been presented with two tracking points but unfortunately I didn't do this, so I've only been using a single tracking point. The cloned areas I need to rotate are just a few frames and I can do this manually if needbe. I just need to figure out if rotation is somehow possible without having to do a bunch of tracking all over again.

Hope I was clearer and thanks for your help.

Jon

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: assistance needed with rotation of tracking area/ cloned area
by on Jul 10, 2010 at 7:50:35 pm

Y'know, I've read this post about four or five times, and I STILL have no clue about what you want to do.

Can you explain in clear, non-technical English, what an average viewer will see on the screen once this effect is running properly?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jon IversonRe: assistance needed with rotation of tracking area/ cloned area
by on Jul 10, 2010 at 11:13:19 pm

Thanks for responding, I'll try. Imagine a small 2 dimensional box that moves around randomly in the video. It only stays in the x-y plane, but sometimes the box will lift one of its ends slightly as it travels around (a bit of rotation). Now I am trying to motion track and clone over the side of the box facing me, which is the only side anyway being in 2D. While I can easily track the box and clone over it because I used a single tracking point, I am unable to fully cover over the side when the box tilts because I used a tracking point and didn't enable the rotation box at the time of tracking (which would have automatically given me two tracking points). I'm asking if there's anyway I can rotate the cloned area to match the boxe's tilt without having to go back and retrack the entire video with two tracking boxes. When I try to rotate the clone, ALL of the frames end up rotating since the clone section doesn't have individual keyframes. And the motion track section doesn't offer the rotation in the keyframes since I didn't enable rotation initially. I only need to manipulate the rotation of perhaps 10% of the video, so its hardly worth the effort to go back and retrack the entire vid.

Hope this helps clear things up.

Jon

Return to posts index

Jon BaggeRe: assistance needed with rotation of tracking area/ cloned area
by on Jul 11, 2010 at 8:28:39 pm

I don't quite understand what you're trying to achieve here, but why is it a problem to do the track again? Tracking isn't usually that time consuming.

In any case you can apply rotation key frames to rotate your tracked object without distracting your tracking.

--------------
Jon Bagge
Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

Jon IversonRe: assistance needed with rotation of tracking area/ cloned area
by on Jul 12, 2010 at 1:22:10 am

Jon Bagge wrote:

"In any case you can apply rotation key frames to rotate your tracked object without distracting your tracking."

Jon,

That would be acceptable but how do I do it?

Thanks,
Jon

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: assistance needed with rotation of tracking area/ cloned area
by on Jul 12, 2010 at 5:07:32 pm

[Jon Iverson] "Hope this helps clear things up. "

Not really. Are you using AE's Clone tool on a layer, or do you mean that you've duplicated one of the objects in the shot, which must move with the original layer?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]