ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

making certain layers an exception to adjustment layers?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eugene Hooper
making certain layers an exception to adjustment layers?
on Jul 7, 2010 at 11:37:52 pm

Hey guys, just wandering whether there's a way of making certain layers below an adjustment layer immune to its effects? For example's sake let's say I have 3 layers: an adjustment layer, then a text layer below it, then an image below the text. I want to add the standard "bad tv" effect to the adjustment layer so it affects the text but in a way that it leaves the image unchanged. As you may know, the bad tv effect is made up of heaps of other effects, so I found it easier to apply this to an adj layer, then just use the layer's opacity to control how much it affects my text (otherwise there will be a lot of tweaking with the individual effects). However, adding this directly to the text will mean that I can no longer control the effect with the opacity. Is there anyway to tell after effects to make "x layer" an exception to "x adjustment layer"? I know I could just precomp the text and adj layer together but the way I have my project setup makes it difficult to see what I'm doing once I have the text in a separate comp. I could open up another comp viewer to overcome this but would rather find out if there is a way to do this.

cheers
Eugene

Macbook 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM

Return to posts index

craig whit
Re: making certain layers an exception to adjustment layers?
on Jul 8, 2010 at 12:42:31 am

Nuke or Shake could fix the problem :)
But really, I think you\'re just describing a limitation of layer based comping. In AE, i\'ve always just viewed two comps at once.

Craig Whitaker
MFA Candidate
New York University
http://www.craigwhitaker.net

Return to posts index

Eugene Hooper
on Jul 8, 2010 at 12:58:07 am

Ah ok, haha yea nuke sounds like it's where it's at. good to clear that up though.

thanks

Return to posts index

Joseph Pole
on Jul 8, 2010 at 1:42:29 am

yep, agree with Craig - 2 comp viewers would be the solution. my understanding is adjustment layers will affect everything below.

You could duplicate the text layer, put that above the adjustment layer and use that as a matte for the adjustment layer but the effects will only work within the confines of that matte. so something like the warp effect wont produce the result you want.

you could also apply the effects directly to the text layer, then link various parameters of the effects to a slider via an expression. then you can use the slider to adjust the effects globally.

you probably already know this Eugene but when you use 2 comp viewers you can lock one comp viewer so you can work in a precomp downstream and view the result higher in the hierarchy.

sounds like you're well aware of this anyway but i've attached a screen grab of an example just in case...

http://www.josephpole.com

Return to posts index

Eugene Hooper
on Jul 8, 2010 at 3:16:06 am

yea I've considered both the slider and a matte before but like you said, the matte wont work with a warp type effect and parenting stuff to a slider was too much work for my liking. yea the 2 comp viewer is how im going about atm but my screen isnt as gigantic as your screen lol.

thanks anyway, it's good to know for sure that there's no magic "exception" button in ae.

cheers

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jul 8, 2010 at 6:34:55 am

One way to understand this is to realize that it's not that "an adjustment layer affects all layers beneath it", even though that's what people tend to say. Rather, an adjustment layer is applied to the composite of the layers beneath it. When you realize this, you see that it doesn't really make any sense to ask for one or more of those layers to somehow be an exception; they've already been composited together into a single layer that's being fed to the adjustment layer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Joseph Pole
on Jul 8, 2010 at 7:28:00 am

One way to understand this is to realize that it's not that "an adjustment layer affects all layers beneath it", even though that's what people tend to say.

that's also what the adobe website says on the link you provided Todd...

'Because effects on adjustment layers apply to all layers beneath them'

granted that later there's a note...

Note: A more accurate description is that the adjustment layer applies the effect to the composite created from all layers below the adjustment layer in the layer stacking order.

but that could partially explain this misconception. your post certainly clears that up though - thanks!

http://www.josephpole.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jul 8, 2010 at 3:03:15 pm

if you only need to apply the preset to one layer, apply it to that layer.

then apply the cc composite effect after those effects from the preset and set the opacity to 50% (or whatever you needed).

you can then choose how to composite the original layer with the effected layer (in front, back or a blending mode). you can also set whether to composite with the original alpha or not (rgb only is without original alpha).

of course if you had two text layers (or more) that needed to be effected with the preset, you'd be precomping. at that point the preset could be applied in the precomp or to the precomp in the main comp adding the cc composite effect described above.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Pradipta Roy
on Jun 21, 2016 at 1:34:52 am

Thanks a lot Joe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]