ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Leading Bug?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric SandersonLeading Bug?
by on Jul 7, 2010 at 8:00:52 pm

Im all of the sudden having a leading problem where my leading set at "0" but leaves a HUGE gap between the lines, at about a 20px font i have about 120px leading gap, my solution so far has been to highlight the bottom line and increase the baseline shift...this is getting annoying though...every once in a while it acts correctly but if i need to go change the type or anything the leading will act up again. Anyone else run into this or better yet have a fix?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Leading Bug?
by on Jul 7, 2010 at 8:04:35 pm

[Eric Sanderson] "Anyone else run into this or better yet have a fix?"

Which version of AE would we happen to be talking about?

Does this behavior manifest itself if there are only text layers in the comp?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eric SandersonRe: Leading Bug?
by on Jul 7, 2010 at 8:07:12 pm

Im on CS4. No there are many layers in the comp, as well as many comps in the project, all of which have the problem.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Leading Bug?
by on Jul 7, 2010 at 8:30:45 pm

You can rebuild your AE preference file -- a corrupt one is an occasional cause of AE weirdness -- bypressing and holding down the Command-Option-Shift key combo (Mac) as you start up AE. The downside: any preference settings are gone.

So before you try that, there are more common causes of AE 9 weirdness in general, plus text layer weirdness:
  • Got any any newly-installed fonts? One of 'em could be corrupt and a corrupt font will give AE fits for sure. Remove the new ones from your fonts folder, and then add them back by halves -- first, half of them. No weirdness? Add back half of the remaining fonts... and so forth. If you find weirdness you'll be better able to isolate the bad font, because you added them back slowly, yet efficiently. Don't forget to restart the machine between font additions.
  • Using Open GL for previewing or to accelerate rendering? Turn it off, because it does more harm than good on complex comps.
  • Got multiprocessing turned on? If you have 6GB RAM or less, you don't have enough memory to use it. I have 8GB on my Mac Pro, and I don't use it.
  • Got the free upgrade to AE 9.0.2? Get it if you don't, and get it NOW.
  • Got any HDV footage in this project? It's the most common cause of AE weirdness, pre-AE10. Read on:
Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved