ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

question about cature format

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leo Lagerwall
question about cature format
on Jul 7, 2010 at 5:01:08 pm

Lets say, I just captured a sequence in Premiere in HDV format, the playback works great, but as soon as I want to export the clip or even render out some clips from the sequences it gets problematic. I want to use the same compression as it was when I captured the material from the dv tape. (I am not sure but my guess is the compression from the camera is compressed in DVCPRO HD 1080p25)

An example could be , that I need to export some edited clips and work with them in AE. I am aware that I can use quick- time animation or some uncompressed format but I want to re-reder the already compressed clip into the same compression format without losing any quality. Is that possible?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: question about capture format
on Jul 7, 2010 at 5:26:16 pm

[Leo Lagerwall] "I am not sure but my guess is the compression from the camera is compressed in DVCPRO HD 1080p25"

You'd better find that out for sure. Look at the specs in the camera manual.

[Leo Lagerwall] "I am aware that I can use quick- time animation or some uncompressed format but I want to re-reder the already compressed clip into the same compression format without losing any quality. Is that possible? "

Your desires may be limited by the footage's actual codec (see above), the computer platform you use, and the version of AE you run.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: question about capture format
on Jul 7, 2010 at 8:10:36 pm

yep. your desire to avoid further loss when working with footage captured with a lossy codec and then re-compressing to a lossy codec will result in further loss... that's inevitable.

if premiere was set up for hdv, them my guess would be that it captured hdv. hdv would not be a codec that you should choose to work with in ae, so you'll want to export that from premiere as something that does not use temporal compression -- dvcprohd would be ok, but to avoid further loss, you should probably go with lossless animation.

in the future, you may want to work with a dvcprohd setup in premiere, then try to maintain dvcprohd throughout (capture dvcprohd, export dvcprohd or export qt reference files to dvcprohd files and render to dvcprohd from ae).

avid has a good hd codec that they offer for free called dnxhd (search avid.com). it's specs are very similar to apple's prores, and it should work with premiere. also, it should work as well as any intraframe compression codec in ae (it doesn't use temporal compression).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]