ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

creating a battlefield of dead soliders

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyle Renakecreating a battlefield of dead soliders
by on Jul 7, 2010 at 3:27:25 pm

Hello,

I have to make a battlefield full of dead soldiers for a new short film i am doing. Since i dont have the budget for props and armor, i was thinking to lock down the camera, and film about 5 actors in sections of the field, do this a few times, then fill the entire field by masking. (Pretty much the same way people use to clone themselves)

I'm not sure how the final product will look, so i'm wondering if anyone has any diffrent suggestions on how to do this, or maybe any samples of work they have done of a similar type scenerio.

I was also thinking of using a green screen, but the way the dead soldiers are "lying" on the ground might not look good...

Thanks in Advance

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: creating a battlefield of dead soliders
by on Jul 7, 2010 at 3:37:34 pm

This may give you a few ideas:
http://www.fxguide.com/article463.html

Watch the video. Read the text. Listen to the podcast.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tyle RenakeRe: creating a battlefield of dead soliders
by on Jul 7, 2010 at 4:11:05 pm

Wow, haha, that answers my 2nd question of having to make a large scale battle like that. Perfect.

Haha, thanks Dave!

Return to posts index

by on Jul 7, 2010 at 4:19:29 pm

You must understand: this guy had high-quality footage from the BBC to work with, VERY nice and fast desktop computers plus 3D applications to add extra touches of realism.

An HDV camera and a laptop running AE ain't gonna cut it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Tyle RenakeRe: creating a battlefield of dead soliders
by on Jul 7, 2010 at 4:25:42 pm

Yeah, i understand the processing power that will be needed. Luckily, i'll only need a 5 second battlescene (which may still take a day to render) and no where near that number of layers.

I do know it will look nowhere near as good as that though, at least its something to try :)

Return to posts index

by on Jul 7, 2010 at 5:21:32 pm

[Tyle Renake] "I do know it will look nowhere near as good as that though, at least its something to try"

I like that attitude. One of experiment and discovery.

Sometimes we get newcomers whose expectations are... what shall I call them? Abnormally high, perhaps:

"Hey, WTF? What's wrong with After Effects? I just shot two guys fighting with sticks against my Mom's green flannel sheets using my new HD Handicam. How come my light sabers don't look like the ones in Star Wars? I've had After Effects for three days now. You'd think that would be long enough, right? And how come After Effects won't play back anything? I don't have any probs when I use Vegas!"

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: creating a battlefield of dead soliders
by on Jul 7, 2010 at 5:50:48 pm

LOL @ Dave's impression of an AE newbie.

Also, this question was asked at VideoCopilot.net and some suggestions for creating a more dynamic shot with a motorized moving camera were given.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Graham QuinceRe: creating a battlefield of dead soliders
by on Jul 10, 2010 at 7:56:49 am

You might also consider using a stills camera for this shot. That would allow you to both lock it off and then add camera movement afterwards as the image you'll be working on will be soooo much bigger.

Graham

http://www.YouTube.com/ShiveringCactus - Free FX for amateur films

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]