ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

puppet

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gonçalo Perdigao
puppet
on Jul 7, 2010 at 2:57:26 pm

hi there i had a character that i add several puppet points, but now i want to parent some elements to the shape after the puppet, is there a way to parent it?

thanks a lot

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: puppet
on Jul 7, 2010 at 2:59:55 pm

I don't play with the Puppet Tool much, but I'm pretty sure the pins have a position property, which means you use the expression pick-whip to link things up.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gonçalo Perdigao
on Jul 7, 2010 at 3:29:48 pm

yes it does, but i'd like to have the other elements to parented to the mesh deformation, and if i add more points the mesh deforms in a way i dont want

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 7, 2010 at 3:35:00 pm

There is nothing that says you can't pick-whip to the same property from several layers. There's nothing that says you can't use a null object for the expression, then parent the new layers to the null.

In some cases, you may have to animate the new layers' anchor points. This will not, however, be automatic, and I suspect you want something automatic. Sorry.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 7, 2010 at 4:15:24 pm

It also occurs to me that you want to deform the new layers to precisely match the deformation of the existing puppet tool layer. I think you can do it this way:
  • Make a new comp that is precisely the same size and pixel aspect ratio as the existing puppet tool layer, and put the necessary footage / text / etc. into the new comp.
  • When the existing puppet tool layer's animation is just right, duplicate it and highlight it.
  • Highlight the new comp in the project window and Option-drag (Mac) it onto the highlighted layer.

If this trick works, you now have a new layer that animates and deforms exactly like the existing layer. I've never tried it, so I don't know for certain if it will work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jul 7, 2010 at 5:39:14 pm

Robert Powers shows how to use parenting and the Puppet tools together.

This search shows that there are quite a few threads about using parenting and the Puppet tools together.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]