ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

New Laptop vs. Old Desktop

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rory Flynn
New Laptop vs. Old Desktop
on Jul 7, 2010 at 12:27:12 pm

Hi,

I am considering buying a laptop and I was wondering whether someone could tell me how the laptop compares to what I already have. I will be using After Effects and Cinema 4D on it.

Current PC:

HP Pavillion M7000
Pentium D CPU 3.20GHz
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
500 GB Serial ATA (7200 RPM)
4GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS 512 MB

New Laptop:

Intel CoreTM i5-450M, 2.40GHz
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
500 GB Serial ATA (5400 rpm)
6 GB 1066MHz DDR3-SDRAM
ATI MobilityRadeon HD5650 1GB

Any help would do!
Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: New Laptop vs. Old Desktop
on Jul 7, 2010 at 1:27:33 pm

You know, unless you have some overpowering need to use a laptop, you're going to be a whole lot happier with the increased work capacity and flexibility of a desktop machine.

Sure, you CAN run AE on a laptop, and you CAN do work on it, but you just can't expect miracles. They won't happen, because you can't trick a laptop out with enough RAM to really make AE sing. Combine that with the ALWAYS-wise move to keep user files on a separate hard drive from application and system files, and laptops really aren't the AE machines of choice.

So: do you have an overpowering reason for a laptop?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rory Flynn
on Jul 7, 2010 at 1:32:47 pm

Yes, unfortunately I do. I need to be able to work on the go and I also do alot of work in-house at studios and sometimes need my own gear. So unfortunately laptop is a must for me. I am not too worried about it not being ideal. My pc at the moment is no beast. All I am worried about is that the laptop will be worse. As long as it is as good or better than my current pc its fine!

Cheers

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 7, 2010 at 1:46:48 pm

[Rory Flynn] "I need to be able to work on the go and I also do alot of work in-house at studios and sometimes need my own gear."

Sorry to hear that. I wonder how you would have fared when only a desktop machine could have done these jobs.

If you don't need the capabilities of the Nvidia card for work in Premiere or a certain card for C4D, go with the machine with the most RAM. Shove as much RAM into that baby as it will hold. Upgrade to the deluxe processor set if you can do such a thing. If you think AE was a RAM hog before, you ain't seen NOTHIN' yet, sir!

And get yourself a good portable hard drive with a fast connection like Firewire 800. You'll kick yourself if you don't have it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Graham Quince
on Jul 10, 2010 at 8:09:43 am

I've always worked on laptops with AE and sometimes wish I had a desktop. I used to have a beast of an HP Pavillion laptop which weighed about the same as a desktop and the performance matched a colleague's dual-core.

When it died, I got an ASUS N80V and until I upgraded the software to Win7 64bit and AE CS5 it really, really struggled with AE. I frequently had crashes when running XP, 3GB RAM and AE CS3. The laptop has an NVidia GeForce 9300 and I had to disable OpenGL to get any sort of stability. Almost every time I rendered, I would have to save, shut down AE, reopen it and then render.

But like I said, since upgrading to CS5 and Win7 64bit, everything seems better. I also have to use a laptop. My only suggestion would be to check out the laptops sold as gaming machines, at least they'll have a top-spec graphics card.

Totally agree with Dave's other points, ad I'd also add in a second monitor. I missed my larger screen resolution and when I added a second monitor at my desk it did help organise my screen space. Of course, you miss it all the more when you're away from it :)

Graham

http://www.YouTube.com/ShiveringCactus - Free FX for amateur films

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]