ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Weird flicker glitch

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Heidi KumaoWeird flicker glitch
by on Jul 7, 2010 at 3:47:14 am

I just installed AE CS5 on my MacPro 2.93 GHz, 16GB ram machine and I'm getting some weird screen flickering and my computer completely freezes when working on a composition in the timeline. I didn't have this problem with CS4 editing the exact same stuff. I'll be adjusting masks on a layer and WHAM--the entire computer starts flickering like an old broken analog TV set with the vertical roll. The mouse is frozen. I can't do anything. Force Quit doesn't even work.

I can't figure out if it's the footage or some other setting ...
The footage was shot in 1080i 60 and re-rendered in Final Cut to be HDV 720p 29.97 fps for my composition which is HDV 720 29.97 to match all the other footage I'm using. Should I have left it as 1080i and re-interpreted it?
Is this a CS5 issue?

anyone have any ideas? This is really a drag.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Weird flicker glitch
by on Jul 7, 2010 at 1:22:48 pm

If turning off Open GL to accelerate renders doesn't help....

...and fixing the multiprocessing settings to leave 2 cores and 2GB for the OS doesn't help...

...and if removing any AJA plugins for After Effects doesn't help...

...and the troubleshooting tips posted at this address:
http://www.adobe.com/support/aftereffects/
don't help, either...

...then you should post this problem immediately in Adobe's AE User Forum. Todd Kopriva from Adobe is a frequent visitor here, but he might get tied up and it sounds like you need help right now. You can get to the forum via the link above.

This could be a new, unknown bug, so you'd be helping everybody by doing so.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Weird flicker glitch
by on Jul 7, 2010 at 5:29:36 pm

I'm guessing that you're running Mac OSX v10.6.4 and have an NVIDIA card.

That operating system version has problems with drivers for NVIDIA cards. This doesn't just affect Adobe software. (E.g., http://i.tuaw.com/2010/06/21/steam-doesnt-play-well-with-10-6-4/ )

If I'm right, then my first suggestion would be to downgrade to Mac OSX v10.6.3.

Also disable OpenGL.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Suzanne HemphillRe: Weird flicker glitch
by on Jul 18, 2010 at 4:28:35 pm

I am having the same exact problem and was somewhat "relieved" to find out it isn't a card problem. However it is a HUGE issue and Apple needs to get this fixed ASAP. I disabled OpenGL acceleration in AE and Photoshop and the flickering/freeze has not occurred again. What a shame to upgrade to CS5 and have to disable the OpenGL acceleration!!!#$%!

Suzanne
MaD Studio

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Weird flicker glitch
by on Jul 19, 2010 at 3:30:58 pm

[Suzanne Hemphill] "What a shame to upgrade to CS5 and have to disable the OpenGL acceleration!!!#$%!"

I chalk it up to the Adobe marketing folks creating overly-high expectations in their literature.

"Works with Open GL!" sounds a lot better than "Works under limited conditions with Open GL!"

Caveat Emptor, ma'am....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Heidi KumaoRe: Weird flicker glitch
by on Aug 22, 2010 at 10:00:13 pm

Thanks for the response. I am still confused WHEN I can use OpenGL. It seems like everything I do needs it to be TURNED OFF.

do you have a better explanation or know of one for the OpenGL use?

thanks.

Heidi

Return to posts index

by on Aug 17, 2010 at 11:34:33 pm

Apple has released a fix.

Let us know whether this addresses your problem.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 23, 2010 at 12:54:25 am

> do you have a better explanation or know of one for the OpenGL use?

The OpenGL renderer is just useful for rendering previews and for screen updates during interactions (e.g., dragging property values). I leave the preview mode set to OpenGL - Interactive and never turn OpenGL on for final renders.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]