ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

ProRes 422 Codec for AfterEffects???

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
doug nash
ProRes 422 Codec for AfterEffects???
on Jul 7, 2010 at 1:18:52 am

Hello all:

If you don't own FCP, and therefore don't have the ProRes CODEC, is there any way to render to that format in AfterEffects CS3 (CS4, CS5)??? I have the newest version of Quicktime, which allows me to play and import the ProRes INTO AE. But I have no way to render back to that format, and I can't even find a way to convert to it within QT.

What's the story?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: ProRes 422 Codec for AfterEffects???
on Jul 7, 2010 at 1:02:38 pm

The story is this: machines that don't have FCP installed only have a ProRes READER, not a writer. Go with Quicktime's PNG codec: it's lossless. Huge file sizes, but lossless.

Hey, this happens occasionally.

I remember when Media 100 pulled the same crap ten years ago: "Here's the M100 codec reader. Aren't we nice? Oh, you say you want to write to the M100 codec? Buy the M100 card, it's only twenty-eight-hundred bucks."

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

doug nash
on Jul 7, 2010 at 2:41:42 pm

Thanks. We actually used Media 100 back then, too. Silly.

The annoying part of this equation, however, is that the client is asking to have the elements delivered in ProRes, because that's how they're working with everything.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 7, 2010 at 2:56:04 pm

[doug nash] "...the client is asking to have the elements delivered in ProRes, because that's how they're working with everything."

I foresee a purchase of Snow Leopard and FCS3 in your future. I hope you know the proper way to do it -- you don't just run the upgrades, you clone the system drive, put it in a safe place, then do a clean install of all software, including QT7.x and QT10.x; they co-exist.

And you do it BETWEEN projects, which could be problematic.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

doug nash
on Jul 7, 2010 at 3:34:47 pm

Perhaps. But I'll wait for Apple to release a new Mac Pro before I give them any more business. I think for now I'll give the client the DNxHD codec (being that I can) and deliver that way. They'll still have to convert, but they said they don't mind.

Out of curiosity, what do you use for making backups of your system? I was carrying on a thread elsewhere and the person said that they use Super Duper.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 7, 2010 at 3:47:01 pm

I've heard about Super Duper too, but I don't know anything about it, because I'm not wanted nor expected to do any upgrading. It's not my department.

When we finally get the budget for it, our station engineers plan to upgrade out stuff. However, they're mostly Windows guys who have scores of boxes dedicated to a single application. Not too tough to upgrade things like that in Windows-land.

I've tried to explain the realities of upgrading numerous complicated multimedia applications on a single machine in Mac-land, and the necessary precautions that should be taken. But my impression is that they think I'm blowing smoke, so when the upgrades occur I foresee big trouble.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Backup
on Jul 8, 2010 at 6:27:15 pm

[doug nash] "Out of curiosity, what do you use for making backups of your system? I was carrying on a thread elsewhere and the person said that they use Super Duper."

I use Carbon Copy Cloner, but the concept is the same -- a exact, bootable copy of your system drive. If something goes wrong with the software install, you can boot from your good clone, and clone that back over the bad install.

For on-going data and project file backups, I use Time Machine. For media backups, I use Synk Pro over my network during off hours.

I also archive to hard disk and spanned Blu-ray disc, but I've been eyeing an LTO tape archive system for better peace of mind.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

doug nash
on Jul 9, 2010 at 5:12:50 pm

Thanks. Sounds comprehensive, and smart. I need to do a little more than I am now. But it's a little tough to resolve, being that my average animation project takes up about 300-400 gigs.

You've got to spend a great deal of money to get a tape back-up capable of those capacities.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 9, 2010 at 5:22:01 pm

[doug nash] "You've got to spend a great deal of money to get a tape back-up capable of those capacities."

Not to mention a good deal of time. Tap backup is reliable, gut it's S-L-O-W, slow! It's one of those deals where you get it going, hit the hay and it MIGHT be cone in the morning.

And God help you if there was a thunderstorm overnight that knocked out the power.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 9, 2010 at 9:15:30 pm

[doug nash] "But it's a little tough to resolve, being that my average animation project takes up about 300-400 gigs. You've got to spend a great deal of money to get a tape back-up capable of those capacities."

That's exactly why I'm still eyeing them. The tapes are cheap enough -- around $50 for 800GB -- but the drives, controllers, and software are still pretty expensive.

[Dave LaRonde] "Not to mention a good deal of time. Tap backup is reliable, gut it's S-L-O-W, slow! It's one of those deals where you get it going, hit the hay and it MIGHT be cone in the morning. "

LTO4 ain't your father's tape backup. The uncompressed transfer speed is 120 MB/s -- so it could transfer ProRes HQ at 3x real time. A lot of folks shooting tapelessly (P2, RED, etc.) are using LTO4 systems now to keep up with the the huge amounts of data they're generating.

And the reliability you mentioned? That's the best part! Confidence in your backups over a 30-year time frame...

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]