ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

'Save frame as' saving only .psd

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Soh
'Save frame as' saving only .psd
on Jul 6, 2010 at 10:52:05 am

Hi,

I pray that this is not something that I could have found on the forum, of which I have tried to find but failed.

Using after effects, to save a single frame I usually just go to:
Composition>Save frame as>File
I have been able to choose whatever file format I wanted.

I now move to a new computer and when I do the same thing I am only able to save the frame as a photoshop .psd file. I cannot choose anything else as .psd is the only file format available from the pull down menu at 'save as type'.

Please advise as I need to save in other formats. Thank you very much.

Specs:
Adobe After Effects CS4
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. (currently running compatibility on vista as a test, problem happening on Windows 7 too)
Core i7 920
6gb ram
Quadro FX570

Andrew

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: 'Save frame as' saving only .psd
on Jul 6, 2010 at 1:38:56 pm

When it adds the comp to the Render Queue, can you change the format there?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Andrew Soh
on Jul 6, 2010 at 1:42:39 pm

Oh my god I just found that out. I feel like a fool.

Thanks Michael and please do forgive me and I apologize for wasting your time.

Andrew

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 6, 2010 at 1:53:01 pm

To elaborate on Michael's comments, you can also set a new default Output Module for still frames. There's more: you can make custom Output Modules to meet your specific needs, which in turn can be selected as the new default.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andrew Soh
on Jul 6, 2010 at 2:30:16 pm

Thank you Dave. I was a bit lost at what you were talking about but after some googling and fiddling in AE I believe I now get the gist of it. If I am correct I go to:
Edit>Templates>Output Module
-make a new setting, save, etc and next time I go 'save frame as' I would have my preferred file format already there instead of the usual .psd

Thanks for the tip again. Sure does help me save a bit of time rather than manually selecting all the settings over and over again.

Andrew

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 6, 2010 at 2:42:17 pm

[Andrew Soh] "-make a new setting, save, etc and next time I go 'save frame as' I would have my preferred file format already there instead of the usual .psd "

You're VERY close. In that same window (not in front of my AE machine right now) there should also be a dropdown menu for the default Output Module; if you haven't fiddled with it, it should say "Best Quality". Select one of the choices for making still frames, and you're set.

I'll often render out a bunch of comps at one time: a 30-second promo, the :20, :15 and :10 versions, a whole bunch of animated lower-thirds and alpha-channeled stills. I'll set one default Output Module, add the appropriate comps to the Render Queue, then change the default Output Module and add the rest.

After Saving the project, saving a copy, and perhaps an Increment & Save, I open the original project file, hit Render and go do something else. When I return, it's all done. Nice.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Anders Hattne
on Jul 6, 2010 at 7:33:41 pm

yupp, CTRL-clicking an preset in the output module will make that the default output module.Not quite what you asked, but a short cut that saved me a lot of repetitive clicking the last week!!
I love these little gems!!

http://www.ardillamedia.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Soh
on Jul 7, 2010 at 2:32:52 am

Yea I just fiddled around with the control-click and it works well. Definitely a time saver. Thanks Anders.

Return to posts index

Anders Hattne
on Jul 7, 2010 at 8:45:38 am

Found a ridiculous amount of tips on the render queue in this blog..
http://themographblog.com/

http://www.ardillamedia.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Soh
on Jul 8, 2010 at 7:15:19 am

Oo that is certainly helpful. Thanks again Anders.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]