ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

NMEA data in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas C. GassNMEA data in After Effects
by on Jul 6, 2010 at 8:12:29 am

Wed recently made aerial shots on HD with intercom-voice
on one audio track as well as NMEA-data on the second audiotrack. We recorded the GPS data "just in case"
and our client now wants to use this data for an After Effects animation. What we would try to do is decode
the GPS audio signal back into NMEA data and use this data to create animation paths in AE.

We've tried to get hold of a GeoStamp box, but apparently it is not available in Europe. Beside that, it seems to be fixed for NTSC.

Does anybody of you own a GeoStamp and could make us an test decoding of 2 or three minutes of audio into NMEA format?

Beside that: does anybody have experience in using NMEA data in After Effects?

Thanks for you hints and support

Thomas

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: NMEA data in After Effects
by on Jul 6, 2010 at 1:49:30 pm

I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no experience with NMEA data, so I'm of no help to you there. But I'd still like to point this out:

GPS data locates one's position on Planet Earth, which is basically a sphere. There is no such thing as a sphere in AE. Oh, you can fake one well enough, there's no doubt about that, but AE will have no clue what to do with GPS latitude/longitude/altitude information. If you got the position data to work, you'd no doubt find yourself in a seemingly arbitrary position that had absolutely no relationship to the sphere you faked.

I recommend using a 3D application that can actually create an oblate spheroid, and which stands a fighting chance of using the data.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Thomas C. GassRe: NMEA data in After Effects
by on Jul 7, 2010 at 8:14:01 am

Dave,

thanks for your reply! You're absolutely right with your comments about the "sphere" problem, yet, the closer you are to a sphere, the more you can neglect it's round shape (as a long time private pilot I would never worry about the earth's round surface when setting up a navigation plan for a 50 mile trip ;-)

The aerials cover a range of about 10 x 5 miles and the idea was (or still is ;-) to write a script that translates the NMEA data into the AE grid in order to show the actual position of the helicopter on a map. But before trying to write such a script, we need to re-convert the NMEA audio signal into readable positioning data...

Thomas

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: NMEA data in After Effects
by on Jul 7, 2010 at 1:52:49 pm

And don't forget that for AE, the center point of the comp isn't like 3D applications. It can be defined by the following X-Y-Z expression in pixels:

(horizontal midpoint), (vertical midpoint), 0

And of course, pixels usually aren't square. The fun keeps coming.......

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Thomas C. GassRe: NMEA data in After Effects
by on Jul 7, 2010 at 2:31:49 pm

>> The fun keeps coming.......

:-) That's correct, but I call it "a challenge" ;-)

We will work in square pixel format, since the animation will be projected in a non-TV size and will remain completely in digital format (streamed from harddisk).

Return to posts index

Lacy VuRe: NMEA data in After Effects
by on Jul 7, 2010 at 8:36:41 am

Hello,
I'm sorry because i have no experience with NMEA data. Luck for you!

Lacy Vu
Dizen Creative
Logo design, Branding design, Thiet ke Logo
http://dizen.com.vn/eng/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]