ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Plugin upgrade checker

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John DavidsonPlugin upgrade checker
by on Jul 6, 2010 at 2:16:01 am

Just curious - does anyone know of an application that checks to see if all your After Effects plugins are up to date? I have widgets on my Mac that will tell me if I have the latest apps and widgets (and even link you to the download page), so you'd think that would exist for After Effects, right?

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: Plugin upgrade checker
by on Jul 6, 2010 at 3:02:57 am

And if this doesn't exist - would a little application that did that be worth $2 or $3 to you guys?

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: Plugin upgrade checker
by on Jul 6, 2010 at 6:44:52 pm

Something like that would be great, but I seriously doubt any such thing exists for AE. With so many plugin developers doing their own thing, it seems it would be extremely difficult to write software that could reliably indentify updates that are often hard enough to find manually on the developers' websites.

If it did exist, I'd gladly pay more than $2-3, but only if I were very confident that:

• it worked with all, or at least the vast majority, of the bazillion AE plugins out there rather than just the few Trapcode Shines of the plugin world ... um, I mean Red Giant Shine (see #3)
  • would continue working not just for a few weeks, but 12-24 months later once my AE version and operating system have changed
  • would continue working once half the plugins I own were sold to other developers and re-written (as has consistently happened every few months for the past decade)

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: Plugin upgrade checker
by on Jul 6, 2010 at 8:36:01 pm

I'll talk to my programmers and see what we can do. It's such a pain to even get the version number of your plugins - just that would be a good first step. I'd probably want it to contain a way of easily storing your serial numbers as well.

After Effects really needs it's own plugin manager that's baked into the application.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved