ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

numerous crashing with CS4v9

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Iverson
numerous crashing with CS4v9
on Jul 5, 2010 at 10:53:05 pm

Ok, after doing some intermediate work with CS4v9 over the last few days (mainly cloning over a motion tracked area), I am finding the task quite frustrating. I can't tell you how many times the program has crashed and usually when I make any adjustments in preview, such as playing or even zooming. I have followed the suggestions here and it has been somewhat helpful in accomplishing the task, but I still end up with frustration. So the question is, why so much crashing when using any preview feature? I have tried changing preview resolution and size but to no avail.

I am considering an upgrade to CS5 and running at 64 bit, but that would require at least Win 7 and whatever cheaper video card I can find that would be suitable (my current system uses an integrated video card).

Appreciate your thoughts on the above. I would really like to exhaust all options with my current system first to see if I can get things running better before shelling out significant cost for the upgrade. I am currently running CS4v9 on a 32 bit Pentium Quad core system with 4 GB RAM and integrated video card.

Thanks,
Jon

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
Re: numerous crashing with CS4v9
on Jul 5, 2010 at 11:49:38 pm

I had the same type of problem when painting frame by frame on HD material for
20 or longer seconds. I solved it by splitting and continuing with the first half
Turned off so the memory was spent on shorter layers instead of reading the whole layer.
Also clean your database and cashes (in prefs) and Edit/Purge/All helps
too. have you already been doing this kind of thing and its th fist its happened? -B

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

Jon Iverson
on Jul 6, 2010 at 1:22:55 am

Thanks. I essentially did the splitting arrangement with several duplicates and only processing a small amount of frames each time which did seem to help a lot. I'll try the other suggestions you mention about memory, etc as I haven't done that. No, this has happened quite a lot, but it wasn't really an issue until I decided to delve into deeper editing/ processing of videos. Usually I stuck with only basic things like color enhancement or unsharp masking and there were still crashes but far less frequently.

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
on Jul 6, 2010 at 2:10:05 am

I've heard a lot of people have problems with cs4 until they find the right
settings or even set a cache folder with a large size. Like 5gigs or so. I'm still
on cs3 for just that reason. I have almost no problems, but that's what cs5 is
supposed to address. Happy cloning! -B

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jul 6, 2010 at 5:01:26 am

Have you applied the After Effects CS4 (9.0.2) update?

It fixed a lot of problems, including some crashes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 6, 2010 at 1:41:45 pm

In addition to Todd's recommendation to get AE 9.0.2, there are other things that could also help:
  • Trying to use multiprocessing? With only 4GB on your machine, you don't have anywhere near enough memory, so turn it off.
  • Trying to use Open GL to accelerate renders? Turn it off too, because it often does more harm than good.
  • And here's the most common cause of weirdness in AE9 -- the footage itself. Read on:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jon Iverson
on Jul 6, 2010 at 1:53:45 pm

Hi Dave,

I haven't done the update, but I don't use multiprocessing and GL is turned off. It is interesting to note that my integrated video card does not appear to be GL compatible according to AE's findings, so I'm wondering if this may be a factor with all of these crashes. Since I don't have GL enabled anyway, I don't know if the lack of compatibility makes that much difference.

Based on your prior suggestion, I did resave the MP4's to uncompressed AVI's first before processing them. Didn't seem to make the crashes any less frequent, but still appreciate the suggestion here.

Jon

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jul 6, 2010 at 3:50:40 pm

Why haven't you applied the update? Its purpose was to fix some crashes, and you're having a problem with crashes.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]