ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How stable is CS5 Mac?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
doug nash
How stable is CS5 Mac?
on Jul 4, 2010 at 6:55:20 pm

I searched a little, and found that there is at least one known issue with CS5, which is the AIFF RAM playback bug. If simply converting to WAV resolves that, I can totally live with that.

But what about the rest of the program? I currently use CS3 on a 8-core Intel Mac, running 10.5.8. It's incredible stable. But, I've heard some very poor assessments (from credible colleagues) about the performance and overall reliability of CS4.

I have NO interest in upgrading, for the increased speed and robustness of 64-bit in CS5, if it comes with instability, or other speed issues.

What say those of your with empirical experience in what I just detailed?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How stable is CS5 Mac?
on Jul 4, 2010 at 7:24:34 pm

My advice is this: if you're happy with what you've got, and it works for the jobs you need to do, I'd wait.

The application has only been out for a few months, and there may rare and exotic situations on the horizon that will bring unknown bugs forth.

But then, I've never wanted to be on the bleeding edge. I'm sure others have opposite opinions.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

doug nash
on Jul 4, 2010 at 7:45:02 pm

Thanks, and I couldn't agree more about waiting for a spell, before upgrading hardware & software.

However, I'm cranking through a bunch of work right now, and AE is becoming a bit of a bottleneck. Apple isn't helping, by turning its back on us professionals with a lack of Pro updates, so in the meanwhile, I'm updating certain key apps.

I'd have to imagine that there are some significant render speed boosts, going from CS3 to CS5.

So, unfortunately, my happiness has to be based on some quantifiable results. Who is using CS5 in the workflow, right now, and can you please advise on speed gains over CS4 & CS3?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jul 5, 2010 at 7:47:19 am

Don't expect massive speed gains, this is not Premiere Pro. You may get some 30% on average if you have plenty of RAM (minimum 2 GB per core). Stability got much better when working with large images, though (we use 4K).

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

doug nash
on Jul 5, 2010 at 9:23:43 pm

Uli. Thirty-percent is a huge margin, when applied to day-long renders. Are you just throwing that out, very much off the cuff? Or have you calculated that by comparing identical projects, between the older version of AE?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jul 6, 2010 at 2:14:58 pm

It's an average. There are huge differences depending on the filters and functions you use, it can range from a tad slower all the way to nearly 50% faster. You'll need to fine-tune the use of your cores and RAM too, Todd Kopriva is giving some very good info about that. So, it's hard to give a straight number – too many variables.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Jul 5, 2010 at 11:10:56 am

I did some work with it and it allows you to use all the RAM in your Mac, as opposed to the 4-gig limit.

However, Primatte and other Red Giant plug-ins that I use aren't available for CS5 yet. Due this summer. You might want to see if your plugins are compatible before making the jump.

For any upgrade, I make a complete working copy of my HDD before installing any changes. If it doesn't prove totally functional I can always jump back to the previous setup.

Dean Sensui -- Hawaii Goes Fishing

Return to posts index

doug nash
on Jul 5, 2010 at 9:21:26 pm

Thanks for the continued input. I've already done the due-diligence on my mandatory plugs, and they're all 64-bit compliant.

I'm not especially worried about redundancy, as CS5 will be a fresh install. CS3 will work just fine, if I have to fall back for any reason. Out of curiosity, why do make such a thorough copy before installing an app?

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Jul 5, 2010 at 9:49:44 pm

[doug nash] "why do make such a thorough copy before installing an app?"

One never knows what might trip up things. It's just a precaution. Like wearing seatbelts or having a fire extinguisher in the house.

Return to posts index

doug nash
on Jul 5, 2010 at 9:58:35 pm

Can't argue with that. Out of further curiosity, how do you go about making your back-up system drive? Do you use Time Machine, and an external drive? Is it a perfect duplicate, in that you could simply swap that drive for the system, and boot right up without a hitch?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Jul 5, 2010 at 10:21:06 pm

I use "Super Duper" and make a duplicate on an internal HDD that's inside the MacPro itself.

Then it's just a matter of assigning it as the "boot drive". Pretty easy to flip-flop from one to the other.

Return to posts index

doug nash
on Jul 5, 2010 at 11:34:10 pm

Sweet. I think I'll give that a go, myself. I've got a number of separate computers for redundancy, but with the absurdly low cost for HD's, that would be a smart move.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Sep 4, 2010 at 12:05:09 am

The After Effects CS5 (10.0.1) update is available:
http://bit.ly/9ex5Cf

This update addresses issues mentioned on this thread, including the AIFF problem. After you've installed the update, please let us know whether it works for you.

If you have any problems with the update, or if you have bugs to report after you've installed the update, please let us know through the usual channels:
http://bit.ly/93d6NF

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]