ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Cannot output in 1440x1080

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cow
Jay St-Louis
Cannot output in 1440x1080
on Jul 3, 2010 at 10:07:02 pm

Just installed AE CS4 and for some reason, I cannot properly render or view anything with it... i'm a begginer, so i'm probably making a big mistake, but I just don't know what it is...

I'm working with the proper compostion settings for my source (1440x1080): http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6738/cc01u.png

My footage is interpreted the right way: http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/4166/cc02.png

And YET, all I seem to get is this: http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9238/cc03.png

The left and the right part of the image is cropped (i.e: 4:3), I get the same thing when I send the composition to my render queue + final video is super slow-mo for no apparent reason...

What's the problem here?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Cannot output in 1440x1080
on Jul 4, 2010 at 4:07:11 pm

You have two problems.

If the horizontally-squeezed image is taken from the comp window, just turn on the pixel aspect ratio compensation switch, found at the bottom of the comp window. In the window grabs you provided, you'll not that the pixel aspect ratio is 1.33, and you have to tell AE to display the footage that way.

Jay St-Louis: >"...when I send the composition to my render queue + final video is super slow-mo for no apparent reason...
I'm not sure whether you mean that the render seems to take a long time or the footage plays back slowly when you hit the space bar.

If it plays back slowly when hitting the space bar, you absolutely MUST know that AE can play NOTHING like an editing application can do. It has to render EVERYTHING. So to watch your footage play back, you have to do a RAM Preview:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906...

And ignore the suggestion to use the space bar.

In any event, you're running AE9, and you're using HDV video, so you also need to know this:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jay St-Louis
on Jul 4, 2010 at 6:51:58 pm

Thanks a lot! Turning off the pixel compensation switch worked for me...

Also, I had never heard of interframe compression! Still looking for a codec that would work without producing files that are too large...

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jay St-Louis
on Jul 4, 2010 at 7:25:17 pm

In Premiere CS4, I capture HDV footage in mpeg ... then export it in Uncompressed AVI...

I then import the AVI footage in After Effects, apply all my effects... but still, when I export the final result, it's still very slow - and chopped... do I need to capture using a diffent codec?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 4, 2010 at 7:27:56 pm

Jay St-Louis: "Still looking for a codec that would work without producing files that are too large... "

My advice: just work in the codec that's right for your workflow. if you need more storage, get it. Heck, what's a 1 TB drive cost now? $100 or something like that?

Storage is cheap. Preserving a good workflow is priceless.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

nitesh patel
on Jul 4, 2010 at 4:42:43 pm

hi dude i think so your proportion grid is difult on please turn off thats it ihope its work if works then plz reply me

1.jpg

Return to posts index

nitesh patel
on Jul 4, 2010 at 4:50:32 pm

just turn off proportional grid in safe action eria

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]