ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Motion Tracking & Stablization

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Perry ChengMotion Tracking & Stablization
by on Jul 3, 2010 at 9:38:11 pm

I am new to AE CS5, wondering why am I only able to get ~10 frames of motion tracking before the rotobrush goes away? This is true in the motion tracking for stablization as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Motion Tracking & Stablization
by on Jul 3, 2010 at 11:53:20 pm

If I understand correctly what you're saying, you're referring to the fact that the default span for the Roto Brush effect is 20 frames in either direction from the base frame.

from "Roto Brush spans, strokes, and base frames":
"When you first draw a Roto Brush stroke, the frame on which you are drawing becomes a base frame. The segmentation information (the information about what is defined as foreground and what is defined as background) is propagated forward and backward through time—20 frames forward and 20 frames backward."

See "Roto Brush spans, strokes, and base frames" for information about how to increase the span. If you work according to the instructions---making corrective strokes frame-by-frame as you work outward from the base frame---then the span will grow automatically.

It really is important to read and follow the instructions for Roto Brush---far more than for any other feature that I've seen in After Effects. The intuitive aspect of the feature is just the thinnest surface; the powerful features aren't easy to discover without reading the documentation. That's the point that I tried to make in my plea here.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved