ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects on Mac Book Pro

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rory FlynnAfter Effects on Mac Book Pro
by on Jul 3, 2010 at 3:09:51 pm

Hi,

I am considering buying a new Mac Book Pro. I haven't looked too much into which one to go for yet. I was just wondering whether anyone could tell me their experience with using after effects (and cinema 4d) on a new mac book pro. Does it run reasonably well? My reason for wanting one is I do a lot of freelance work in-house at studios and need something portable.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: After Effects on Mac Book Pro
by on Jul 3, 2010 at 3:55:40 pm

It depends on the sort of work you intend to do, what you are accustomed to, the version of AE you are using and many other factors.

In general a laptop will not provide the horsepower or memory to work efficiently. However there are many who use laptops and comfortable with their performance, I'm sure you'll hear opinions on either side of the question.

The new MBP's can be configured with 8GB of RAM which helps previews, the i7 processor is fast and can be used for multi-processing.

You mention C4D, you can download CineBench from Maxon and test the speed of the machine before you buy.

I find AE slow on an 8 core Xeon with 16 GB of RAM.

Return to posts index

Jason MyresRe: After Effects on Mac Book Pro
by on Jul 3, 2010 at 6:59:57 pm

"I find AE slow on an 8 core Xeon with 16 GB of RAM."

If that's slow, what's fast?

JM

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: After Effects on Mac Book Pro
by on Jul 3, 2010 at 7:27:40 pm

Fast depends on what you are trying to accomplish. OK, so the 8 core is reasonably fast, still renders can take time depending on their contents, effects, number of layers.

I just finished a NTSC DV Widescreen 3 minute render that took 2.5 hours in CS4 using Nucleo Pro fast render settings.

If its just a simple text animation, that can render faster than real time. YMMV.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects on Mac Book Pro
by on Jul 4, 2010 at 4:30:42 pm

Brian Charles: "I just finished a NTSC DV Widescreen 3 minute render that took 2.5 hours in CS4 using Nucleo Pro fast render settings."

That IS slow. But there could be a lot of factors influencing the speed of the render.

I won't get into all the factors that make a complicated AE composition, I'll just focus on other common mistakes:
  • Using multiprocessing with insufficient RAM
  • Using Open GL to accelerate renders
  • Running AE 9 without the free upgrade to AE 9.0.2
  • Using HDV footage in a comp when running some other AE version than CS5 (AE 10).

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rory FlynnRe: After Effects on Mac Book Pro
by on Jul 4, 2010 at 9:04:54 pm

Hi guys,

thanks for all your responses. I am currently using CS4 on a 5 year old pc. Its a HP Pavillion m7000 series. Pentium D 3.20 GHZ, 4gb ram, 512mb graphics memory. So I am not used to high speeds. Its pretty slow, but I'm used to it now. I suppose what I am really asking is. Will MBP be any slower or will I find it faster?

Cheers

Rory

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects on Mac Book Pro
by on Jul 3, 2010 at 3:58:26 pm

What's the maximum amount of RAM you can shove into that thing?

If you're talking about running AE 10, you should know that a good starting point of memory per core is about 4GB. And AE will employ all the RAM you throw at it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: After Effects on Mac Book Pro
by on Jul 3, 2010 at 11:44:18 pm

I am happy with After Effects CS5 on my MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM when I'm doing basic design work and roughing out animations, but I'm much happier with my HP desktop workstation with 24GB of RAM when I want to RAM preview things at full resolution and do final renders.

So, yes, a laptop is great... up to a point. You can get by with nothing but a laptop, as long as you also have a _lot_ of patience and are disciplined and plan and think ahead. By that last part, I mean that you need to do a lot more prerendering, making tradeoffs about what you're previewing at any given time, etc. (See "Improve performance".)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]