ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Fixing blown-out highlights

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mathew lisettFixing blown-out highlights
by on Jul 3, 2010 at 11:40:28 am

hey guys, firstly i wish to thank everybody for their time with all the questions i have had so far as i really appreciate it and its made my experince with the methods so much more enjoyable.

ok, so my friend has some video footage that has a few scenes where it has blown-out highlights on the faces, floor, sky etc. now from what i can tell PS does have a fantastic filter for pictures as this link shows

, now colour finess 3 has a highlight recovery but doesnt do anywhere need a job as this does in ps.

so would i be correct in saying the best way to do a solution is when the project is done as a ps sequence, that he takes the scenes needed to be repaired and deal with it in ps so that the highlight recovery can be dealt with.

or is there another filter like the one oin ps, for AE that i dont know about.

cheers again

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Fixing blown-out highlights
by on Jul 3, 2010 at 3:54:44 pm

You can try what you want, but you should know that the tutorial talked about still images and camera RAW files. These files give you a LOT more exposure latitude when shooting, so you have the opportunity to recover detail in overexposed areas.

Video cameras, on the other hand, do not have much exposure latitude at all. When it comes to improperly-exposed images, video cameras just lose detail.

Oh, you might get back a tiny bit of detail is the less-overexposed areas, but that's about it. Don't expect miracles, no matter what you do.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

mathew lisettRe: Fixing blown-out highlights
by on Jul 4, 2010 at 3:32:30 pm

CHRIS how do i pm you

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Fixing blown-out highlights
by on Jul 4, 2010 at 5:50:22 pm

usually I post to everyone so that the same topic becomes clearer but if you have instruction questions then simply go to my website's contact which has my email and I can pm that way. The cow doesn't have pm.

Return to posts index

Jim ArcoRe: Fixing blown-out highlights
by on Jul 5, 2010 at 11:41:05 am

You can actually open the tif or jpeg sequence as camera RAW inside of After Effects.

See Chris Larsen's tutorial at:
for a full explanation of how to get to the Adobe Camera Raw interface inside of AE.

I have been using this technique for a while to recover highlights, particularly from low-end cameras. Chris Wright's templates also work some magic if you'd prefer not to convert your footage to a tif sequence first. Neither will give you the latitude of an image captured in the camera as a raw file, but either will make a noticeable difference to footage with blown out highlights.

BTW, you can render footage to a tif sequence using After Effects if you don't have Photoshop handy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved