ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Codec for Mastering a Feature Film

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matias RispauCodec for Mastering a Feature Film
by on Jul 3, 2010 at 3:45:55 am

Hi, Im looking for a codec for rendering a film(90 min.). I use Pc so i don´t have Prores. I been thinking on Motion jpeg or Animation as their are 4:4:4 in high quality, right? I´m not runing with to much budget so "buying a pro codec" is not an option, I wanna use someone that is already there. Also, disk space is not a big deal but i don´t want to use uncompressed or something soooo big.

Return to posts index

Juan A. Ibarra PeinadoRe: Codec for Mastering a Feature Film
by on Jul 3, 2010 at 8:26:36 am

wow bro you are really waiting a miracle!! ^^
Can you tell us the resolution of your footage? pixel aspect ratio?... but anyway, based in my experience, mastering requires disk speace if u dedide no compression option or a nice codec dependig which is your otiginal footage.
Tips: Use QT no compressión codec for maximun quality or H264 for hd mastering. Last option may can be divx pro hd for less quality but low hd space equirements.

I hope it helps you bro.
luck.

CÁMERA: JVC GYHD251+BR-HD100
VTR: JVC BR-HD50
CAPTURE PLAYBACK: BLACKMAGIC MULTIBRIDGE PRO
COMPUTER: I7

Return to posts index

Matias RispauRe: Codec for Mastering a Feature Film
by on Jul 3, 2010 at 12:18:35 pm

Mi project is in full Hd(1920 x 1080). I know it´s gonna take some Gbs of space thats is not the problem, I don´t wanna use uncompress it way to heavy. H.264 based codecs are not very reliable for a Master. So thats because i was thinking on mjepg or animation (I-frame only and 4:4:4). Any recomendations?

Return to posts index

Joe MoyaRe: Codec for Mastering a Feature Film
by on Jul 3, 2010 at 4:43:17 pm

... try the jpeg compression... it is virtually lossless... or another option that provides good compression results (although not cinematic results) would be H264 or MP4.

But... what I THINK your asking for doesn't really exist....

You either need to go to DNxHD, ProRes or Cineform video editing video formats... or, stick with uncompressed formats (which produces large files... which means you need to buy some more HD space.

Sounds like you really don't know what kind of final format is required... All codecs have certain advantage and disadvantages... which is which depends upon what is the intent of your final use for the the video.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 3, 2010 at 5:35:38 pm

With jpeg compression you mean mjpeg or jpeg sequence? h.264 it´s out of my options. I use Pc so I don´t have ProRes, but i remember have used avid´s DNxHD one time I think i could give a try. Thanks.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Joe MoyaRe: Codec for Mastering a Feature Film
by on Jul 3, 2010 at 10:21:42 pm

mpeg compression... if you want to maintain your frame rate... jpeg animation is individual frames that can get out of sync if sound is use...DNxHD is used by AVID editing application in a similar fashion as FCP uses ProRes.... While Cineform is more commonly used with Adobe editing application (but can be used with either FCP or Avid).

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Codec for Mastering a Feature Film
by on Jul 4, 2010 at 5:47:47 pm

Joe Moya : "mpeg compression..."

I wouldn't consider mpeg for a second, and here's why:

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

If the original poster needs to get more storage to do this, so be it. He is, by his own description, MAKING A FEATURE FILM. In such cases, you pay to play.

Get the flippin' storage. Don't compromise image quality any more than it's probably been compromised already.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jul 4, 2010 at 8:20:20 pm

"Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression"

Well that is the way I do it. I just was looking for a VERY nice codec recomendetion for mastering the original timeline from AE. I finally decided by using DNxHD, Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Codec for Mastering a Feature Film
by on Jul 5, 2010 at 3:04:47 pm

Matias Rispau: "I finally decided by using DNxHD..."

A good choice for Avid.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]