ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects and NLE Workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam BloeminkAfter Effects and NLE Workflow
by on Jul 2, 2010 at 6:17:30 pm

Hey folks,

Would anyone like to share their 'tried and true' workflow for their motion graphics projects? Here are some workflows I've tried and the problems I've encountered with them.

1. Create timeline with rough animatics in NLE. After locking the edit, import entire sequence into AEP and create final animations to replace the rough placeholders.

Problems: Client sees final animation and has changes. Now you are editing in AE, which can be a lot more difficult than NLE (See 3.)

2. Create a timeline with rough animatics in NLE (Premiere). Use Dynamic Link to replace Premiere placeholders with animation.

Problems: Dynamic link is buggy / If the client has changes, the dynamic link comps don't have handles and are difficult to manipulate within Premiere / It's hard to make two FX shots overlap seamlessly

3. Create your timeline directly within After Effects.
Problems: Difficult for audio timing / makes live edit sessions difficult

I'm sure a lot of these problems can be fixed with proper planning in pre-production (storyboarding), but sometimes projects need to be completed within only days and on low budgets.

What is your workflow for motion graphics? Or even live action footage incorporating AE animation/compositing?

Cheers,
Adam Bloemink

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects and NLE Workflow
by on Jul 2, 2010 at 7:57:37 pm

I vote for Option #1, despite your anticipated problem. It's particularly good if you also have Automatic Duck or it's Boris Effects counterpart: your NLE's edit timeline comes into AE already in a comp. Pretty neat.

[Adam Bloemink] "Problems: Client sees final animation and has changes. Now you are editing in AE, which can be a lot more difficult than NLE"

It all depends on the changes. Besides, what if the change only affects 2-3 shots in the entire comp? Just put 'em in a new comp and render 'em out!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]