ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

replace footage with multiple files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mathew lisett
replace footage with multiple files
on Jul 2, 2010 at 6:14:22 am

how do i import or replace footage with multiple files? , as i cant find a single bit of software which will join mov files without re doign the encoding.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: replace footage with multiple files
on Jul 2, 2010 at 1:30:51 pm

[mathew lisett] "...i cant find a single bit of software which will join mov files without re doign the encoding..."

You mean software where you can put one footage clip right after another in any order you choose?

That would be called an editing application, like Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas, and Media 100, to name a few.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 2, 2010 at 1:35:35 pm

[mathew lisett] "how do i import or replace footage with multiple files? , as i cant find a single bit of software which will join mov files without re doign the encoding."

What are the specs for your media -- frame size, frame rate, and codecs? Are they all uniform?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

mathew lisett
on Jul 2, 2010 at 5:18:46 pm

very simply, becuase yet again for some reason quicktime png will nto encode say past 30 mins of footage no matter how much space you have. I encoded into sections.

so its the same footage as before 1280 res 23.976fps. So what i was trying to do was join the mopv files together without re encoding the lot.

durign the time of waitign for your replies, i had come across allok video joiner and it worked a treat, although did take 8 blooming hours to join the files.

but just so i know for next time, is there a way to import the seperate files and replace the footage in the project?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 2, 2010 at 5:55:43 pm

[mathew lisett] "...for some reason quicktime png will nto encode say past 30 mins of footage no matter how much space you have... what i was trying to do was join the mopv files together without re encoding the lot...."

It might be just me, but something just doesn't add up. There's something weird going on here.

If you happen to be on a Windows machchine, you may be running into file size limitations of FAT 32 disk formatting. I can see the value of a big, long piece of video being in one chunk, but if you give the little chunks the proper file names, they just natually fall into order anyway.

I'm still trying to figure out why trying to avoid re-encoding such a big deal: QT's PNG codec is lossless, so re-encoding doesn't do any harm.

If your footage is 1280x720 at 23.976 fps, I'm going to guess that it didn't begin life in the PNG codec, but rather in DVCPro HD, XDCam, or some other codec. So why is there an overwhelming need to import one huge and extremely long PNG file into AE when it's not a problem with work with shorter-duration files?

Bottom line: despite my best efforts, I can't wrap my head around what you ultimately need to accomplish, your workflow you've chosen, nor how AE figures into it. Please enlighten me, if you would.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

mathew lisett
on Jul 2, 2010 at 6:00:18 pm

becuase i remmber you telling me that it was best to have the file format as mov loselsss png or animation for the errors togo away when doing the pre rednering, hence why ive been doign all this.

and the file going to mov png is hd mpeg frmat which you stated didnt work well with ae when doign the pre rendering.

and yeah i dont understand why the encoding is having such an issue encoding qith quicktime png or animation going past 30 mins of footage since the hdd's on my system are all ntfs.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 2, 2010 at 6:08:17 pm

Okay, now I get it.

Don't sweat it -- you can simply export your shots as individual clips. It's not that big a deal, I assure you. Plus, it's a WHOLE lot easier to find the desired video in one 10-second clip than it is in a three-hour clip or something.

If you're using AE to color grade an entire program, feature-length film or something like that, you really ought to look into getting a program like Automatic Duck (for FCP/Avid) or its Boris Effects counterpart. An entire edit timeline comes into AE as a comp. Pretty cool.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]