ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Heroes Phasing effect/going into a wall/Mirrow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared EatonHeroes Phasing effect/going into a wall/Mirrow
by on Jun 30, 2010 at 7:59:00 pm

Hi. I'm looking for tutorials for having a subject pass through the surface of a mirror. Is there anything out there that could give me some ideas to get started? thanks!

Return to posts index

Graham QuinceRe: Heroes Phasing effect/going into a wall/Mirrow
by on Jul 1, 2010 at 3:30:05 pm

In the past, if I've wanted a subject to pass through a solid object like a wall, I'd film the wall, then keeping the camera locked on the tripod, move the camera to the end of the wall and film the actor walking through the frame.

Once that's done, you have your actor in similar lighting conditions to the wall. Now rotoscope out your actor (unless you had a portable greenscreen) and place them over the background plate of the wall. Then, use an animated mask and manually cut out their body as he passes through the wall.

For a mirror, you might have to use a second camera, placed to get the correct angle for their reflection.

Alternatives could include masking out their hand and hiding it with a ripple effect, then cutting to a side view to show them passing into the mirror. The 5-second rule would help you sell this more easily.

Hope that helps

Graham

http://www.YouTube.com/ShiveringCactus - Free FX for amateur films

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Heroes Phasing effect/going into a wall/Mirrow
by on Jul 1, 2010 at 9:09:31 pm

I wonder if a light aimed at a slit between flags or gobos would facilitate the roto?

It would cast a vertical slit of light on the actor to indicate the event horizon of the effect, and the roto artist could use it as a guide. It would have to be a pretty sharp slit ... the gobo(s) might have to be big and close to the talent ... of course, the idea is probably old news if it's any good ...

Return to posts index

Graham QuinceRe: Heroes Phasing effect/going into a wall/Mirrow
by on Jul 2, 2010 at 7:49:11 am

This could work, although I was surprised at how easy to was to do manually. The hard part was picking the point where the wall starts, but once you make the decision, I think your brain steps in and fills in the rest.

Graham

http://www.YouTube.com/ShiveringCactus - Free FX for amateur films

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]