ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

TNT Show Promos

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony FieldsTNT Show Promos
by on Jun 30, 2010 at 4:52:15 pm

Does anyone have any idea how TNT does their show promos (Rizzoli & Isles, Leverage, etc)? Admittedly, I gush every time I see them and I really want to see if I can re-create that look.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: TNT Show Promos
by on Jun 30, 2010 at 5:08:41 pm

i think you're talking about the spots that look like they are frozen in time (or time is really slowed down) but the camera is still moving through the scene...

it looks like they are using a bullet-time rig, where a series of still cameras are rigged up to all take a shot at the same time, but from slightly different points of view.

the stills then get sequenced together to look like footage.

i think the tnt spots also incorporated some added animations... i think one has a particle effect in it, so there's probably some added tracking and some rot involved.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: TNT Show Promos
by on Jun 30, 2010 at 6:04:05 pm

I'm not sure, Kevin. Some of the TNT shots look really shoddy and cheap, like they're doing it in 2.5d. Especially the shot with the slushy, it just looks bad.
Either way, if you don't have the moolah for a proper rig, this tutorial may help (or this one or this one or, heck, even this one)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: TNT Show Promos
by on Jun 30, 2010 at 6:31:30 pm

I discovered a video on the TNT site that showed a Leverage Promo shoot.

I saw dollies, track, and on-line, full-screen graphics describing the process. The key: a Phantom camera shooting at 750 frames/sec. With that and some nice rotoscoping, you have a dolly shot where the characters move VERY slowly plus carefully motion-tracked text that appears to be part of the shot.

On the Abel Cine web site, you can find additional info on Phantom cameras. I should also point out that if there were a cheaper way to pull off the effect, they would have used it. In addition to really cool effects, production companies are also in business to make money, and you make less money by selecting gear that's more expensive than you actually need.

That said, a production company also has to pay actors, DP's, directors, gaffers, grips, etc. Shooting as quickly and efficiently as possible becomes a huge issue. If you have no comparable costs, a cheapie rig as Michael suggests looks really good. Yeah, it may take a lot more time to use, but it'll deliver the same look.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ally ShoreRe: TNT Show Promos
by on Jul 18, 2010 at 11:21:01 pm

Here's the link to that video. Oh...remember when we all had budgets!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved