ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Particle effect - glitter from a headbang!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Katy Davis
Particle effect - glitter from a headbang!
on Jun 30, 2010 at 10:41:22 am

Hi clever people.

I'm wanting to use particle effects to add some "glitter" falling out/from a girl's hair as she head bangs (she has very long hair which whips down and up again).

I've attached a still here of what I want the "glitter" to look like:

Anyone know how to simply have the glitter seamlessly appear and whip smoothly down then up again with the hair, and then to twinkle and fall slowly around her?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

K

Gobblynne Animation
http://www.gobblynne.com

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Particle effect - glitter from a headbang!
on Jun 30, 2010 at 1:42:43 pm

[Katy Davis] "Anyone know how to simply have the glitter seamlessly appear and whip smoothly down then up again with the hair, and then to twinkle and fall slowly around her?"
It won't be simple, but it should be possible. Do you have Trapcode's Particular plugin for AE? That would be the best thing to use to create it in AE. However, since you asked for glitter, it could be easier to pull off without Particular. You would make (at least) one separate layer for each direction in which you want the particles to go. Since it's glitter, it's going to be basically a bunch of blinking particles. That will enable you to have different groups of particles moving different directions, but looking like they're all the same group.

You can get some actual movement using some of the physics (and forces) in Particular. (Also, you could do the motion path...there are several ways to do it.)

No matter how you create the particles, it will require quite a bit of rotoscoping and several different particle layers to make it look realistic. You'll have to make the emitters follow her head movement, etc.

How much experience do you have in AE and with the various particle systems within it?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Katy Davis
on Jun 30, 2010 at 1:53:11 pm

Thanks so much for your response Michael, I've actually been working on it since posting this thread and it looks pretty good. I unfortunately don't have particular (on this computer - I'm over seas). Not really sure how to make it blink, shine and glitter just using particle world but will keep playing - if you have any quick solutions I'd love to hear.

Thanks again :)

Gobblynne Animation

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jun 30, 2010 at 5:49:54 pm

I don't have a lot of free time today, but I threw this together real quick to give you and idea. 870_glitter.aep.zip

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Katy Davis
on Jul 1, 2010 at 2:42:12 am

Woah! Thanks so much, really appreciate your time! :D

Gobblynne Animation

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]