ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Adding foreign accents to AE text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris ThomasAdding foreign accents to AE text
by on Jun 29, 2010 at 9:26:50 pm

Hi all,

I'm an Avid/FCP Editor and only know the very basics of After Effects. I'm currently localising a videogame trailer into several languages, which means editing some bold upper case text already in an After Effects CS4 composition, but when I insert any accent into it like an É, for example, the letter appears smaller to accommodate the accent and keep everything in line. In FCP when I do the same thing in the Text tool, the letter appears the right size with the accent above it, as it should look.

So, is there some alignment setting which forces this to happen and is there any solution other than manually increasing the font size of each accented letter until it looks right. I think there must be so all wisdom will be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Chris.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Adding foreign accents to AE text
by on Jun 30, 2010 at 12:09:19 pm

[Chris Thomas] "In FCP when I do the same thing in the Text tool, the letter appears the right size with the accent above it"

are you using the same font in fcp? and are you using the accented character or adding an accent to a character?

the accented character is actually made a specific way for a given font, so if the E is smaller, then it was created that way in the font, and the software won't change that.

possibly, if the accent was added to the E, the software may have some control over how it handles the combination of the two characters, but i've never seen controls for this in any software...

in either case, the only work around i can think of is to add a free accent by hand to a regular capital character, or get a font editor and edit the accented characters to be the way you want them....

i actually had to do something similar once. i was asked to create a small-caps font that had a specific ratio of size from upper to lowercase. i think i used typetool from fontlab... but, i have to admit i thought it was a rather ridiculous request...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Joey BurnhamRe: Adding foreign accents to AE text
by on Jun 30, 2010 at 5:41:29 pm

[Kevin Camp] "the only work around i can think of is to add a free accent by hand"

Can't he just scale up the one letter? I've had to do that before with certain fonts.

Either way, this sounds like a problem with the font, not AE.

Best,
Joey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]