ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CS3 Ram Preview Not Playing out Realtime

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John JackowiakCS3 Ram Preview Not Playing out Realtime
by on Jun 29, 2010 at 8:41:52 pm

So I have run out of ideas as to what is going on here. I started a new project, new comp, new solid. I did a simple scale down from 100% to 50%. That is it. I tried doing a ram preview and it is only playing back at a third of the frame rate of 29.97. Any Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Time controls set at full res, don't skip any frames.
Live update is On.

Pref Pane:

Memory and Cache:

Maximum Memory Usasge: 100%=3 GB
Maximum Ram Cache Size 30%=916mb
(Disk Cache is Enable) Max=2000mb

Multiprocessing:
(Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously is on)

About Machine:
Processor: 2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Startup Disk: Macintosh HD

John Jackowiak

Brand New Motion

johnj.bnm@gmail.com

***Recent Work***

http://comcastcs.com/autouploads/quick_demo.mov

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: CS3 Ram Preview Not Playing out Realtime
by on Jun 29, 2010 at 8:53:07 pm

The first obvious thing is to turn multiprocessing OFF.

With only 4 gigs, you don't have anywhere near enough memory to use it effectively. I have 8 gigs on my Mac Pro and I don't feel it's enough to use it. AE is a RAM hog, and that's the truth.

Turning off multiprocessing might do the trick, but since we don't know the size of your comp -- SD, HD, 2K, 4K, etc. -- which in turn means we don't know how many pixels you're trying to play back, it's tough to say whether it will work for sure.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: CS3 Ram Preview Not Playing out Realtime
by on Jun 29, 2010 at 9:09:37 pm

I agree with Dave about the multiprocessing -- the general rule of thumb for CS3 is 2-4 GB of RAM per core. With your 8-core machine, you'd benefit from 16 to 32 GB of RAM.

As for the slower-than-realtime RAM preview playback, what are your video preview settings (located under Preferences > Video preview)?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

John JackowiakRe: CS3 Ram Preview Not Playing out Realtime
by on Jun 29, 2010 at 9:22:04 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. I have turned off the multi-rendering option, but it didn't help. The Video Preview is set to "Computer monitor only". Just so you guys know this is a work computer here that I have never used. From what I found out from the users is that this issue has always been happening since it was installed. They just never bothered to tell me. Why I don't know..... Anyway, There is an external monitor connected through an aja board on this machine used for final cut pro. However, I did notice that even though the preview setting was set to "computer monitor only", they were still getting an image coming through to their external monitor. I thought that initially might have been the problem. But when I disconnected the aja board, I found that while they obviously no longer had signal going to their external monitor, the issue remained.

John Jackowiak
Brand New Motion
johnj.bnm@gmail.com

***Recent Work***

http://brand-newmotion.com/reels/motion_graphics.mov

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: CS3 Ram Preview Not Playing out Realtime
by on Jun 29, 2010 at 9:29:08 pm

[John Jackowiak] "Anyway, There is an external monitor connected through an aja board on this machine used for final cut pro. However, I did notice that even though the preview setting was set to "computer monitor only", they were still getting an image coming through to their external monitor. I thought that initially might have been the problem. But when I disconnected the aja board, I found that while they obviously no longer had signal going to their external monitor, the issue remained."

Perhaps the old AJA plugins for AE are installed on that system? Check the Plugins folder within the Adobe After Effects CS3 folder. If they are there, you can remove them; they are not actually necessary for video preview with AE anymore.

If it's not AJA-related, a couple other things to try:

Check for updates. For CS3, you should be running version 8.0.2.

Turn off OpenGL if it's on.

Rebuild your AE preferences (you will have to change any customized settings back manually later). Hold down Cmd-Opt-Shift while loading AE.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

John JackowiakRe: CS3 Ram Preview Not Playing out Realtime
by on Jun 30, 2010 at 2:22:56 pm

Success! The AJA plugins were the culprit. Everything is running smoothly now. Thanks for the help guys. It is also good to know about the necessary RAM for the multi-rendering option. I was at NAB this year, and everyone was telling me that it should always be enabled. They didn't tell me that there were minimum requirements to having it on.

John Jackowiak
Brand New Motion
johnj.bnm@gmail.com

***Recent Work***

http://brand-newmotion.com/reels/motion_graphics.mov

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]