ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Time Stretching around inserted footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken LatmanTime Stretching around inserted footage
by on Jun 29, 2010 at 2:25:14 pm

I have a composition that I rendered out of Cinema 4D where i have various passes and null objects to insert compostions from AE. It is a long flowing sequence where the camera stops in different positions to allow for the screens it is focused on to wait and display the message that I would create in AE.

I purposely set those still durations for only 10 or 20 frames knowing I could time stretch in AE on the freeze points and extend them. The problem is I have multiple passes out of C4D (shadow, specular, various lights, etc) that are all layered around the composition(s) I want to insert. I could enable time remapping on all the various layers and move the keyframes on all but is there a better way to control the time-remapping for all layers without having to do this or collapse several layers into multiple compositions and still have the same problem on just a few set of layers?

Because of the null objects you have to take into consideration the camera layer which adds keyframes that have to be adjusted to make sure objects from AE stay in place where their supposed to be in the composition.

I'm trying to keep it as clean as possible to manipulate. Not sure if pick-whipping a turned off adjusted time-remapped layer to another as a controller would work.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Time Stretching around inserted footage
by on Jun 29, 2010 at 3:11:57 pm

i think i'd work with it the way it is... add your stills where they need to go, and keep all the timings the way they are. then bring that comp into a new comp and use time remapping to 'stretch' the sections that you need to stretch, and of course, lengthen the new comp as needed.

also, before you bring that comp into a new comp, you can add comp markers at the top of the timeline at the sections that you want to stretch. then, when you bring that comp into the new comp, the markers should show up as layer markers. you can even label the markers in the original comp and those labels should carryover too. it may make it easier to find the sections to stretch.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved