ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Export Composition / Team Workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hans Juergen Eberdorfer
Export Composition / Team Workflow
on Jun 29, 2010 at 9:36:32 am

Hi-
I'm looking for a team friendly work-flow in After Effects.

If several people work on one project, it would be great if one could export just ONE SINGLE composition that could be imported into the main file.

Basically what I would like to do is to work on a project that contains several nested compositions, ask a coworker to open a copy of that file, work on a specific comp and export that comp back to me. If I would re-import the whole copy of that file it would make my file big in file-size and messy quite fast.

Since there is no "Export Selected Composition" button we have to clean up the whole project by hand first in order to save a single composition and it's footage.

Best,
H

Return to posts index

Hans Juergen Eberdorfer
Re: Export Composition / Team Workflow
on Jun 29, 2010 at 1:39:06 pm

After some research:
I would like to use "Collect - For selected Comps" without having the footage collected too. The footage should remain linked to the original files.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 29, 2010 at 3:10:41 pm

[Hans Juergen Eberdorfer] "I would like to use "Collect - For selected Comps" without having the footage collected too."

It sounds like you want a project file to remain as small and streamlined as possible, with no unused footage in it. I would investigate how the Reduce Project command works. You may also find this helpful:
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/larsen_carl/filemanagement.php

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 29, 2010 at 2:13:32 pm

[Hans Juergen Eberdorfer] "I'm looking for a team friendly work-flow in After Effects. "

I'm sorry to say this, but good luck. AE isn't really designed for multiple users to work on a single project simultaneously.

You can create your own templates for all team members to access and save at their own workstations. You can to create a standard project for the same purpose. However, multiple team members can't have the same project file open and modify it without courting disaster: one team member will always save over the work of another team member.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 29, 2010 at 2:50:22 pm

[Hans Juergen Eberdorfer] "Since there is no "Export Selected Composition" button we have to clean up the whole project by hand first in order to save a single composition and it's footage."

There's not an "export selected composition" feature per se, but Reduce project comes close. From the linked page in the manual:
To remove unselected compositions and unused footage items from selected compositions in the Project panel, choose File > Reduce Project. This command is available only when the Project panel is active.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]