ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Motion tracking & Rotoscoping

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Pearce
Motion tracking & Rotoscoping
on Jun 28, 2010 at 9:01:49 pm

I'm rotoscoping some music video footage and want to use motion tracking to keep each mask aligned to different parts of a drum set on different layers. I started tracking a cymbal on one layer and added a null object layer and made that the parent to the cymbal layer and it worked perfectly. I then tried to track a layer with the floor Tom and created a new null object layer to repeat the process, but when I applied the motion tracking the Floor Tom got pulled out of position. It looks like the floor tom layer might be attached to the first null layer.

How can I track a second layer without this conflict? I've pasted a snapshot of what I'm doing.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Motion tracking & Rotoscoping
on Jun 28, 2010 at 9:28:33 pm

Sorry, but the pasted picture didn't show up. Here are a couple of common goofs:

For each thing on a layer you want to track, you need a separate tracker. And you need to have the LAYER window open to do a track, not the comp window.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Pearce
on Jun 29, 2010 at 3:18:57 pm

Thanks Dave, The problem was that the tracker went off at the end of the footage which I wasn't going to use, and dragging the masks away. Everything is working perfectly now. The camera is locked down for the footage I'm rotoing, but now I'd like like to use motion tracking for the entire sequence which has a lot of camera movement. I'd like to track the separate pieces of the drum set and have the masks follow and adjust to the perspective changes. Got any tips or suggestions on the best way to do this?

Thanks Again
Dave

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 29, 2010 at 3:50:29 pm

Have you looked into using Mocha for the task?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

David Pearce
on Jun 29, 2010 at 4:34:37 pm

No I haven't. I'm using after effects because I have a friend who is an editor and it's what he uses for such tasks. Sounds like Mocha must be better for this type of work. I'll look into it.

David

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 29, 2010 at 4:40:43 pm

Whoa, hold it! Mocha came bundled with AE as of Version 9. do you have that?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

David Pearce
on Jun 29, 2010 at 6:56:28 pm

I'm using the CS5 demo. Don't think it has Mocha with the demo.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]