ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Plane/Light Clipping in AE using PS Repoussé feature.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Burns
Plane/Light Clipping in AE using PS Repoussé feature.
on Jun 27, 2010 at 1:54:22 pm

So, I've been messing around with the new After Effects/Photoshop Repoussé feature and imported a 3d text PSD into After Effects. I've gotten realistic shadows and lighting on the text, but I can't figure out how to get them to cast correctly when the camera moves to different angles. Maybe it's not possible...

The main issue is when I pan or tilt the camera, the text clips through the plane/floor. I've been trying to figure out how to lock the layers in place relative to the camera. The text, plane, and light all have static positions, but the camera causes them to move and intersect.

Here is a clip of my problem - http://www.vimeo.com/12890108

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Plane/Light Clipping in AE using PS Repoussé feature.
on Jun 27, 2010 at 5:02:03 pm

..."I can't figure out how to get them to cast correctly when the camera moves to different angles. Maybe it's not possible..."

You're right: it's not possible. The Photoshop 3D object is unable to interact with lights in AE. However, what you have doesn't look bad at all....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Evan Burns
on Jun 27, 2010 at 7:43:16 pm

Thanks, I've been playing around with this comp for quite awhile... Got this far by deleting the layer controller that comes with the PSD file and using the lookAt(thisComp.activeCamera.position, position) extension to keep the PSD text in 3D during a 360 rotation. The 3D Layer box IS enabled, but the ground plane will not cooperate with the camera... Oh well, it was worth a try -_-

Thanks for the help, I gotta save up some money for Boris.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 28, 2010 at 4:31:02 pm

[Evan Burns] "I gotta save up some money for Boris."

Afraid so. Photoshop's variety of 3D is pretty much a one-trick pony in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]