ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Exporting a 9-minute HD film for YouTube (or Vimeo)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Caston AikenExporting a 9-minute HD film for YouTube (or Vimeo)
by on Jun 25, 2010 at 6:22:56 pm

Hi everyone,

First post, though a frequent visitor for several years. Am trying to export my 9:45-min film in After Effects and have it be under 2 GB. (Right now, it's about 6 GB). Have tried various ways, and researched it to death online, to no avail. (It's largely edited HD footage from a Sony Handycam, edited in iMovie 08 and Final Cut, with animations). So far, everytime I try the file size is too large. Any suggestions here, without compromising quality?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Exporting a 9-minute HD film for YouTube (or Vimeo)
by on Jun 25, 2010 at 7:01:06 pm

[Caston Aiken] "Any suggestions here, without compromising quality?"

render from ae (composition>add to render queue) as lossless animation, then take that to a compression utility, like apple's compressor, adobe media encoder, mpeg streamclip or any number of other utilities to compress for vimeo.

for compression settings, format/container and codec suggestions, check out what they recommend:

personally, i'd probably go with a .mp4 container with h.264 compression following their specs for frame rate and data rate....

not that it matters too much for vimeo (though they like it too), but i like mp4 because it won't be as picky about the player (like .mov, .wmv, .avi and many other containers). so an mp4 on a mac will open in quicktime, in windows it will open in media player, or just about any designated player...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Brij nandanRe: Exporting a 9-minute HD film for YouTube (or Vimeo)
by on Jun 26, 2010 at 6:53:38 am

I made a motion graphic of 7 seconds in AE cs4.The quicktime movie output size was 1.07 GB. I used adobe media encoder to encode video in flv format(same as source) and it resulted the output size just 2.3 MB. But it looses some quality. I often use AVI with Xvid compression. Its a great compressor.I doesnot loose much quality.Xvid codec is automatically installed if you have installed Media player classic in your pc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved