ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Sun Streak Recreation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Angel Nieves
Sun Streak Recreation
on Jun 25, 2010 at 2:59:22 am

Does anyone have a good technique to create a sun streak to the girl's hair on the top picture, to match the sun streak she has on the bottom picture (right side)? I need to do it for continuity purposes. I tried a couple of things in After Effects but nothing good enough. Thanks

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Sun Streak Recreation
on Jun 25, 2010 at 6:57:04 am

Not knowing what you tried I'm gonna go with the first thing I would do: duplicate layer, draw mask, play with levels or curves and warm photo filter.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Jun 25, 2010 at 11:36:03 am

A variation of the same method, you could also duplicate the layer, feather mask out everything you want unaffected, use a blending mode like add, screen or soft light and adjust the opacity of that layer.

You could also use an effect like CC_Beam (I think that's what it's called) on an adjustment layer and tweak the effect controls and/or adjustment layer's properties as needed.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 27, 2010 at 4:56:18 pm

You've gotten some goos suggestions for fixing the shot. Now here's the big question: are you willing to invest the time and frustration it will take to make the two shots match?

There is a position on shooting crews called "continuity". They assign a person to scrutinize the shots to make sure they match. There are many examples of bad continuity even in Hollywood movies, and everyone has a good laugh over them.

Unless you have the patience of a saint and the luxury of a whole lot of time, I fear your shot sequence could suffer the same fate:

Dave's Stock Answer #2:

When you're out on a shoot, and you say, "we'll fix this in post" without knowing PRECISELY HOW you're going to fix it in post, don't shoot it! You'll only end up shooting it over again.

Since post typically costs three times the cost of production, fixing something in post is not a way to save money, but rather a way to spend more of it.

And, before you say "well fix it in post," always consider who's doing the work, especially if you're the one doing the work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joseph Pole
on Jun 28, 2010 at 8:40:20 am

Shouldn't be too difficult Angel.

I did a quick example and took a screen grab for you. For ease i have made reference to the layer names in my project/screen grab. For clarity, i have enhanced the effect so that it is more visible but less realistic (turn the opacity down on the additive layers in your version to make it more realistic.)

Duplicate the layer. (GIRL HIGHLIGHT LGE)
Make a small feathered mask for the highlighted area.
Switch the layer mode to add.
Add a colour balance to that and adjust until the colours match

Duplicate GIRL HIGHLIGHT LGE
Reduce the size of the mask to make a smaller, more intense central highlight

Adjust the opacity of both highlight layers until it looks natural

i also made a precomp (SHINE) and masked ares of the original shot to emulate light streaks. in the main comp (SUN HIGHLIGHT MAIN...

make the SHINE layer additive
add shine to it
move the shine source point up and right outside of the image area to crate directional sunlight streaks

that should get you started. a small amount of a lens flare glow, matching the grades etc will also help.

http://www.josephpole.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 28, 2010 at 4:45:15 pm

Adding a simple effect to create a highlight is one thing, but wait until the subject moves her head; I presume she's not a statue.

It quickly falls out of the realm of a simple effect and into the realm of rotoscoping.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joseph Pole
on Jun 29, 2010 at 1:59:54 am

if she moves significantly rotoscoping will of course be needed but that wasn't the question.

http://www.josephpole.com

Return to posts index

Angel Nieves
on Jun 28, 2010 at 5:59:11 pm

@ Tudor Ted: The photo filter worked nicely. Thanks.

@ Joseph Pole: Nice job. Thanks for all the work. Your hints are helpful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]