ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

rotate two objects (text lines) uniformly

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Schultzrotate two objects (text lines) uniformly
by on Jun 24, 2010 at 10:32:00 pm

I am having trouble rotating two separate pieces of texts uniformly. I am trying to do something like this video I found: (what I am trying to do is at the 6 second mark)

When I rotate 90 degrees and reposition my two text pieces the bottom text wants to overlap the top but I want it to stick to the top text line and move uniformly without overlapping. Can you help me?

Return to posts index

Andy GeorgeRe: rotate two objects (text lines) uniformly
by on Jun 24, 2010 at 11:37:05 pm

Hi Ryan,

The "center" of any position or rotation change is the anchor point.

Im guessing your elements are not rotating in a predictable fashion because the
anchor points are different.

One way to fix this would be to use the Pan Behind tool to reposition the anchor points.

Probably an easier and faster way would be to parent the text layers to a null object. Then just rotate the null. Once you parent the text to the null the "center" becomes the anchor point of the null object. So place your null object with this in mind before parenting.

Return to posts index

Ryan SchultzRe: rotate two objects (text lines) uniformly
by on Jun 25, 2010 at 12:06:11 am

Thank you so much! I didn't know about null objects and it worked perfectly! Do you know how to get that effect that leaves drag behind the text too? I tried enabling motion blur but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: rotate two objects (text lines) uniformly
by on Jun 25, 2010 at 11:30:19 am

You have to turn on motion blur for both the layer(s) you want it to apply to and the comp as a whole. If you want a lot of motion blur, you may also need to adjust the motion blur settings in the advanced tab of the comp settings.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: rotate two objects (text lines) uniformly
by on Jun 28, 2010 at 1:36:42 pm

For adding text trails, you might consider using the Echo effect.
Also, try using this amazing custom search. It turns up several useful things. It's a custom Google search engine designed to only bring up results from useful places.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved