ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Importing Layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff RoughfaceImporting Layers
by on Jun 24, 2010 at 6:11:45 pm

I'm trying to import layers from a PSD file (tedious) but they're coming in at the incorrect ratio it seems.

I turned off pixel aspect ratio correction in PS, but it doesn't seem to translate in AE.

I know an easy solution is to simply stretch out the layer I've imported, but I'm trying to get it perfectly so no one can tell where this move ends and the static image stays.

Return to posts index

Andy GeorgeRe: Importing Layers
by on Jun 24, 2010 at 7:13:44 pm

Hi Geoff,

Correct for pixel aspect ratio does not actually change any properties of the file. It just converts the preview of your image from non square pixels to square pixels.

It's hard to say what the problem is without more info-

Whats your composition size and Pixel aspect ratio?

What's your image size and Pixel aspect ratio?

When you select the imported file in the project panel
how is AE interpreting it?(youll see this at the top of the project panel
when a file is selected)

Walk through the process that got you to this point

Return to posts index

Geoff RoughfaceRe: Importing Layers
by on Jun 24, 2010 at 8:49:17 pm

Comp and image sizes are both 400x240 (these are the dimensions of my video board.) Aspect ration is custom (5:3)

It's interpreting these things as footage.

Return to posts index

Andy GeorgeRe: Importing Layers
by on Jun 24, 2010 at 11:22:28 pm

Aspect ratio and pixel aspect ratio are two different things.

Aspect ratio is the ratio of your entire image. Pixel aspect ratio is the aspect ratio of a single pixel within that image.

To find the pixel aspect ratio take a look at your composition settings. Since your working with a custom setup working in square pixels only would probably solve your problem (unless you have some reason not to be)

Non square pixels (ie anything else) always need to be converted to square pixels to preview properly. This is what your doing in Photoshop when you enable the pixel aspect ratio correction. Im guessing this is where your running into problems but without knowing the pixel aspect ratio's your working with it's hard to tell.

It could be that you just don't have the pixel aspect ratio correction turned on in after effects. it's the small box with double arrows over top of it underneath your composition preview.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved