ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Adjustment Layers in CS4

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan CallahanAdjustment Layers in CS4
by on Jun 24, 2010 at 4:58:17 pm

I am looking to have a text object warp and bend based on its position in 3d space, sort of like a 3d flowing effect. For example, when the text's orientation is changed 180*, the text would bend away from the viewer to follow the path's anchor point, rather than rigidly moving as a single object. I only want to bend the text based on its x and z variables.

Is there a native effect in AE cs4 that I could use to achieve this effect? Or would I need to use expressions or even a completely different feature to achieve it?

Or, would this perhaps be easier to achieve if I converted the text to an object? Please give me some advice.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Adjustment Layers in CS4
by on Jun 24, 2010 at 6:09:26 pm

I know that you asked about After Effects CS4, but I'll offer this suggestion anyway: This sounds like a great job for FreeForm, which comes with After Effects CS5.

FreeForm bends 3D layers based on meshes or displacement maps, and I think that it would be relatively easy to create a displacement map based on the parameters that you described.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Dan CallahanRe: Adjustment Layers in CS4
by on Jun 24, 2010 at 7:01:42 pm

Sounds great, but is there an alternative workaround for cs4 that I could look into?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Adjustment Layers in CS4
by on Jun 24, 2010 at 9:06:08 pm

FreeForm is available for After Effects CS4, though you'd have to pay for it separately.

A different approach, perhaps...

You mentioned bending, which is why I suggest a 3D warping/deforming effect, but you could do much of what you describe with 3D per-character text animation. You could use an expression selector to target and animate the text characters based on certain parameters.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]